• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in Belgium for 1 year

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contracting in Belgium for 1 year

This is my first contracting gig. I have been offered a contract to Brussels for 1 year. I have registered an Ltd last summer so that is in place. The income will be past the VAT threshold.
    I called an accountant and he said that he will need about 10-15 hours on 275 per hour to look into structuring the most tax efficient way to do this, as taxation in Belgium can reach 50% (and I don't want that). Then again, I live with my spouse in London and don't know if it's really worth it going to Brussels, if I'm going to be paying, say 45% at the end, plus pay some 3k or more to an accountant to structure only my company, and then pay an accountant for book keeping and the rest. The accountant said that the structure will have to be in place before I start (which may have sounded a but pushy).
    I have tried to shop around but no one is really confident on how to do this best, and this guy who has good reviews and was suggested, said he has done it before for his clients, and knows how it can be done.

Thoughts on this? Is the accountant charging a bit too much? Or is this standard practice?

He wants GBP 4k to look into something he says he's done before? What do you think? It doesn't seem like bargain of the decade, does it?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Get a contract in London or a European country where taxation for freelancers is easy to sort out.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working abroad is simple.

You assume you are there all week and pay tax there on the income you earn there. My advice would be to speak to sue @ipaye (she does post here at times).

We really need an faq regarding working aboard - it’s not difficult once you understand the rule above.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

You assume you are there all week and pay tax there on the income you earn there.
          Ive been meaning to ask for a while.
          If I do 3 days in Ireland, once a month and the rest in uk or at home I assume I’m normal uk Ltd rules.

Is there a definitive cutoff where you become liable for tax in another country? I assume again there is and that you need to check on a country by country basis.

And for the OP could that mean 1 week a month in Belgium and all is as he wishes?
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
            He wants GBP 4k to look into something he says he's done before? What do you think? It doesn't seem like bargain of the decade, does it?
            No it doesn't And it does smell a little.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Working abroad is simple.

You assume you are there all week and pay tax there on the income you earn there. My advice would be to speak to sue @ipaye (she does post here at times).

We really need an faq regarding working aboard - it’s not difficult once you understand the rule above.
              Thanks for this. I'll reach out.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Get a contract in London or a European country where taxation for freelancers is easy to sort out.
                Well yes, this one is such that I can't say no, both in terms of money and position.
                Unless the taxation is so f-ing difficult that makes it impossible to work out, and irrational to work there (e.g. same money for less hustle and relocation).

Comment

Maybe at the end just invoice them through my UK company and call it even. It's only 1 year after all...

Comment

Stupid question have you read this Sticky yet http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-security.html

Trust me you really don't want to work abroad via a UK company and then have the Belgium / Germany tax authorities chasing you for money - you will end up paying twice - HMRC first and then the Belgium tax authorities and you won't be able to use dual tax legislation to escape the Belgium bills nor would HMRC give you a refund...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X