• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 / Directors loan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 / Directors loan

Hi there,

some background - I'm contracting though my Ltd. company. I work since the beginning within IR35 (IT consultancy) as I've worked for my current client in a permanent employment contract before.

Due to IR35 I know that I need to pay myself 95% of the companies income as PAYE whilst 5% will be the allowance for everything else - expenditures and purchases and such.

However, I'm unsure if I'm still "allowed" to pay myself a directors loan whilst within the above contract.

Theoretically - instead paying myself a 12k gross salary for November, I like to reduce this to 2k and pay myself 10k as a directors loan (which I also like to offset in the next personal tax year). Is something like this possible? Or can I not count the current income as positive company income as I'm obligated to PAYE it?

Many thanks!

Just out of mild curiosity... What saving would you think you are getting even if this was possible?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

What has your accountant advised you to do?
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by mitschelUK View Post
        Due to IR35 I know that I need to pay myself 95% of the companies income as PAYE whilst 5% will be the allowance for everything else - expenditures and purchases and such.

However, I'm unsure if I'm still "allowed" to pay myself a directors loan whilst within the above contract.

Theoretically - instead paying myself a 12k gross salary for November, I like to reduce this to 2k and pay myself 10k as a directors loan (which I also like to offset in the next personal tax year). Is something like this possible? Or can I not count the current income as positive company income as I'm obligated to PAYE it?
        You are paying NI and PAYE on 95% of the contract. You could loan yourself money out of the 5% as well if you wanted to, but I'm not sure what benefit that would have for you personally, and you'll still have to repay it at some point.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Well, I like to slightly reduce my gross salary for this personal tax year and wanted to push it into the next one.

So for e.g. 110000 company income (for 17/18) (the 95%) I like to take 10k as loan (from the 95% as well) to reduce the forecasted annual gross to 100k to avoid losing the half of the personal allowance. Than I like to repay the loan in April and PAYE as normal the whole income.

Comment

Originally posted by mitschelUK View Post
            Well, I like to slightly reduce my gross salary for this personal tax year and wanted to push it into the next one.

So for e.g. 110000 company income (for 17/18) (the 95%) I like to take 10k as loan (from the 95% as well) to reduce the forecasted annual gross to 100k to avoid losing the half of the personal allowance. Than I like to repay the loan in April and PAYE as normal the whole income.
            As you said in the first post, you have to declare 95% as income.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Any money earned from a caught contract not paid to you by PAYE in a given tax year will result in a deemed payment being due, so others have said it won’t work.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                As you said in the first post, you have to declare 95% as income.
                This - if you're inside IR35, you're down the PAYE route.

You might want to check that the 95% rule is still in play - Lucy, can you confirm?
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  This - if you're inside IR35, you're down the PAYE route.

You might want to check that the 95% rule is still in play - Lucy, can you confirm?
                  95% is in play unless public sector. You don't have to call me Lucy though.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    95% is in play unless public sector. You don't have to call me Lucy though.
                    I bet you've been called worse.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X