• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Receipts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Receipts

Are scanned copies of receipts sufficient for record keeping relating to expenses, or should the physical copies be retained as well?

Thanks!

PS. I have not asked my accountant!

Scanned copies are sufficient so long as you can read all of the amounts dates and VAT registration numbers if applicable.

Comment

I'll get in before everyone tells you to ask your accountant then!

Scanned copies are fine, speaking practically though it may be an idea to keep these in a couple of locations.

Maybe a hard disk and cloud based.

Comment

Thanks, accountants!

Stand down NLUK.

Comment

The upside of physical receipts is that they degrade over time, making it difficult to see what the purchase was for...

#justsayin'

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            The upside of physical receipts is that they degrade over time, making it difficult to see what the purchase was for...

#justsayin'

New ones can be degraded in 5 minutes by leaving them on a heated leather car seat

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Spector View Post
              Are scanned copies of receipts sufficient for record keeping relating to expenses, or should the physical copies be retained as well?

Thanks!

PS. I have not asked my accountant!
              I photo them, put them in Freegant and shove the paper ones in a box.
              Electronic ones are all backed up and on Onedrive.

belt and braces
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                I photo them, put them in Freegant and shove the paper ones in a box.
                Electronic ones are all backed up and on Onedrive.

really OTT
                FTFY
                Clarity is everything

Comment

Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
                  FTFY
                  maybe.
                  Till I lose a hard drive (5% a year chance) and then get investigated. Small risk but very little effort to mitigate. And seeing is it's what I do for my clients (reduce risks) I'd be a bit of a tit to not do it myself don't you think?
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Are receipts actually necessary? I use a business debit card for all purchases and it's pretty obvious what I've been spending money on??

Starting to sweat it a bit. I've only done my first month so I'm not in the tulip as much as I could be if I really have to have physical copies.

I'll take an envelope in my bag henceforth to stick them in

Comment

Working...
                    X