• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Receipts

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Receipts"

Collapse

• Smackdown
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Yes mate, keep your receipts. If you are VAT reg'd you will need the actual receipts to claim the VAT back and if you have an investigation of any kind they won't go deeper if your records are slick.
    I'm on the flat rate scheme so hopefully it doesn't have an impact on that front.

I'll have to have a chat with an accountant on how this impacts allowable business expenses / need to pay the money back via my personal account =( glad I stumbled across this thread either way. Got an envelope packed for Monday to start collecting those train tickets! Cheers.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Yes mate, keep your receipts. If you are VAT reg'd you will need the actual receipts to claim the VAT back and if you have an investigation of any kind they won't go deeper if your records are slick.

Leave a comment:

• Smackdown
    replied
    Are receipts actually necessary? I use a business debit card for all purchases and it's pretty obvious what I've been spending money on??

Starting to sweat it a bit. I've only done my first month so I'm not in the tulip as much as I could be if I really have to have physical copies.

I'll take an envelope in my bag henceforth to stick them in

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by SteelyDan View Post
    FTFY
    maybe.
    Till I lose a hard drive (5% a year chance) and then get investigated. Small risk but very little effort to mitigate. And seeing is it's what I do for my clients (reduce risks) I'd be a bit of a tit to not do it myself don't you think?

Leave a comment:

• SteelyDan
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    I photo them, put them in Freegant and shove the paper ones in a box.
    Electronic ones are all backed up and on Onedrive.

really OTT
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim Spector View Post
    Are scanned copies of receipts sufficient for record keeping relating to expenses, or should the physical copies be retained as well?

Thanks!

PS. I have not asked my accountant!
    I photo them, put them in Freegant and shove the paper ones in a box.
    Electronic ones are all backed up and on Onedrive.

belt and braces

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    The upside of physical receipts is that they degrade over time, making it difficult to see what the purchase was for...

#justsayin'

New ones can be degraded in 5 minutes by leaving them on a heated leather car seat

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    The upside of physical receipts is that they degrade over time, making it difficult to see what the purchase was for...

#justsayin'

Leave a comment:

• Jim Spector
    replied
    Thanks, accountants!

Stand down NLUK.

Leave a comment:

• Patrick@Intouch
    replied
    I'll get in before everyone tells you to ask your accountant then!

Scanned copies are fine, speaking practically though it may be an idea to keep these in a couple of locations.

Maybe a hard disk and cloud based.

Leave a comment:

• Kenny@MyAccountantFriend
    replied
    Scanned copies are sufficient so long as you can read all of the amounts dates and VAT registration numbers if applicable.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Spector
    started a topic Receipts

Receipts

Are scanned copies of receipts sufficient for record keeping relating to expenses, or should the physical copies be retained as well?

Thanks!

PS. I have not asked my accountant!

Working...
X