• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance cover

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance cover

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie both to contracting and this forum; though I've got to say reading the threads here has really helped me make some key decision about my business, so thanks

Quick question, what type of insurance do you believe its necessary to have? I'm nearly 50 and single with no dependents. Please no sales pitches, just good ol' honest advice about the types of insurance.

Many thanks in advance,

Scouse

You can find insurance stuff here http://www.contractoruk.com/insurance/

Most contractors go for Professional Indemnity Insurance, and a lot of contracts insist on it.

Buying the other stuff depend on your risk appetite.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

You mention your age and social situation. Are you talking about health insurance rather than business insurance?

If you want more information on the types of insurances they will all have been discussed on here at some point or another. The link below will allow you to find the threads they were discussed in.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/welco...uk-forums.html

So for example if you want to know more about PI then put in Indemnity Insurance site:forums.contractoruk.com in Google.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 20 June 2017, 13:08.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Fab! Thanks for the replies, that's really helpful 😀

Comment

If you mean business insurance, there's a shiny new IPSE guide here

Comment

As others have said, most contracts insist. My current one insists on professional indemnity, employers and public liability insurance for instance.

I have mine via Qdos but there are some really good threads and stickies on the subjects.

Look at IPSE+ too in relation to some IR35 investigation cover. There are other insurances available too in relation to IR35 risk.
            Last edited by fatJock; 21 June 2017, 14:57.

Comment

Originally posted by fatJock View Post
              My current one insists on .. employers .. liability insurance for instance.
              How can they insist on that if you don't employ anyone???

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT View Post
                It's probably a requirement for all suppliers. Just tell them you are exempt and get on with it.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

For the small sum involved it wasn't worth the argument .....

Comment

Doesn't that cover your substitutes if you have/need them in the future ?

Comment

Working...
                    X