• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Financial Spread betting, UK Tax, and HMRC. Advice please!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ASB, thanks. Not planning for SB to provide my sole income so hopefully I will be OK.

I remember Gordon Brown setting his sights on SB in the late 1990s. Never came to anything though. One reason may be that apparently c.95% of retail traders lose which would amount to a lot of off-setting.

Comment

Originally posted by powerbook View Post
      ASB, thanks. Not planning for SB to provide my sole income so hopefully I will be OK.

I remember Gordon Brown setting his sights on SB in the late 1990s. Never came to anything though. One reason may be that apparently c.95% of retail traders lose which would amount to a lot of off-setting.
      Is Spread Betting Still Tax Free In the UK
      If it is tax free gambling then you don't put it on your SA.

Personally I doubt if the government will tax it as the gambling industry is a very powerful lobby.
      Look at the fixed odds betting terminals (FOBTs). They are used either by thick losers with a problem (mental usually), or for money laundering purposes. If that isn't enough reason to regulate/ban/tax then what is?
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Lance, excellent. The link you provided explains the position very well. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by powerbook View Post
          Lance, excellent. The link you provided explains the position very well. Thank you.
          10 seconds on Google would give another 10k plus links saying the same thing you know.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            10 seconds on Google would give another 10k plus links saying the same thing you know.
            Which was how I found it.
            It's a nice Sunday morning though otherwise I'd have used this https://lmgtfy.com/
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              Which was how I found it.
              It's a nice Sunday morning though otherwise I'd have used this https://lmgtfy.com/
              You, sir, are a gentleman.

Comment

Lance, that link will be winging it’s way over to Crunch Accounting. On Friday they told me I must declare SB winnings on my SA. Which didn’t sound right to me. I did indeed search the Internet, however it wasn’t conclusive, hence I sought clarity from a forum.

Comment

Might be better sending them the HMRC documentation such as this...

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/bim22000

Comment

My understanding are HMRC are reluctant to treat trading/gambling as taxable, because if they do, they must then allow you to offset any losses against tax, which they know, over time, for 95% of traders/gamblers losses is going to be more than profit/winnings.
                    Last edited by DimPrawn; 4 December 2016, 14:17.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      My understanding are HMRC are reluctant to treat trading/gambling as taxable, because if they do, they must then allow you to offset any losses against tax, which they know, over time, for 95% of traders/gamblers losses is going to be more than profit/winnings.
                      true but that doesn't stop them from taxing profits from Zopa (and other p2p) but not allowing relief on bad debt.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X