• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Financial Spread betting, UK Tax, and HMRC. Advice please!"

Collapse

• IR35 Avoider
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    So you've been betting for a while now and haven't figured out that gambling wins (and losses) are not liable for tax? Or even debt recovery? Hmmm...
    I don't gamble (unless you count a brief period of financial spread-betting in the late nineties) but I was recently speaking to an immigrant with a partner with form for losing family money, and was going to tell her that gambling debts are not legally enforceable, an interesting anomaly of English law I had previously come across.

Luckily I googled/checked, the position changed under the Gambling act 2005. Apparently gambling debts are now legally enforceable.
    Last edited by IR35 Avoider; 19 December 2016, 11:04.

Leave a comment:

• Jessica@WhiteFieldTax
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    My wife has had to pay VAT on her 15,000 handbags so I beg to differ.
    But that's not a waste of money, it's an essential.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    You can't be taxed on wasting money!!
    My wife has had to pay VAT on her 15,000 handbags so I beg to differ.

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    Betting

My dad told me, way back when I was in short trousers that "You'll never see a skint bookie son" when I asked him about it.

I haven't either. I've also never ever been in a bookies to give my hard earned money away.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Nayab View Post
    If I know anything about betting, it is this. House always wins.
    then you know nothing about spread betting

Leave a comment:

• Nayab
    replied
    If I know anything about betting, it is this. House always wins.

Leave a comment:

• powerbook
    replied
    Yes perhaps. I gave up CFDs years ago, SB all the way now.

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    Originally posted by powerbook View Post
    Lance, that link will be winging it’s way over to Crunch Accounting. On Friday they told me I must declare SB winnings on my SA. Which didn’t sound right to me. I did indeed search the Internet, however it wasn’t conclusive, hence I sought clarity from a forum.
    I know a few folk who trade cfds with ig and others. Taxable. Maybe where the confusion camefrom.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    true but that doesn't stop them from taxing profits from Zopa (and other p2p) but not allowing relief on bad debt.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...er-investments

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    My understanding are HMRC are reluctant to treat trading/gambling as taxable, because if they do, they must then allow you to offset any losses against tax, which they know, over time, for 95% of traders/gamblers losses is going to be more than profit/winnings.
    true but that doesn't stop them from taxing profits from Zopa (and other p2p) but not allowing relief on bad debt.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    My understanding are HMRC are reluctant to treat trading/gambling as taxable, because if they do, they must then allow you to offset any losses against tax, which they know, over time, for 95% of traders/gamblers losses is going to be more than profit/winnings.
    Last edited by DimPrawn; 4 December 2016, 14:17.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Might be better sending them the HMRC documentation such as this...

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/bim22000

Leave a comment:

• powerbook
    replied
    Lance, that link will be winging it’s way over to Crunch Accounting. On Friday they told me I must declare SB winnings on my SA. Which didn’t sound right to me. I did indeed search the Internet, however it wasn’t conclusive, hence I sought clarity from a forum.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    Which was how I found it.
    It's a nice Sunday morning though otherwise I'd have used this https://lmgtfy.com/
    You, sir, are a gentleman.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    10 seconds on Google would give another 10k plus links saying the same thing you know.
    Which was how I found it.
    It's a nice Sunday morning though otherwise I'd have used this https://lmgtfy.com/

Leave a comment:

Working...
X