• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Autumn statement - end of VAT flat rate scheme?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    £10k -- incl VAT 12k
    at a 16.5 % rate you keep £350
    to be able to claim 350 VAT back at 20% you need to spend 350/20*100 =£1750

It's actually a bit less as you pay 20% corporation tax over the 350, which I forgot in my original calculation, so it would be 280 nett so 280/20*100=£1400.
    So if you have VAT-ed expenses of £1400 or more per month on a 10k per month rate it is better not to be on the flat rate anymore after the 16.5% comes into effect
    ???

10k + VAT = £12k. On FRS at 16.5% you pay £1980 VAT
    on normal VAT you pay £2000 VAT. The difference is £20 not £350.

FRS is a calculated gross, std VAT is calculated net.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

£10k -- incl VAT 12k

It's actually a bit less as you pay 20% corporation tax over the 350, which I forgot in my original calculation, so it would be 280 nett so 280/20*100=£1400.
      So if you have VAT-ed expenses of £1400 or more per month on a 10k per month rate it is better not to be on the flat rate anymore after the 16.5% comes into effect

Comment

£10k -- incl VAT 12k
        No, you'd keep £20.

£12000 * 16.5% = £1980
        £12000 - £1980 = £20

There is no minimum threshold for claiming anything back on the standard VAT scheme. You claim back any input VAT you pay - the whole thing is revenue neutral.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about and I don't think you do either. Try reading the rest of the thread where the correct calculations have been mentioned several times.

On the FRS the difference between the gross cost and the VAT you pay to HMRC is taxable surplus income. Any input VAT you pay is a tax-deductible expense, ergo the difference between your FRS surplus and the total input VAT is effectively your profit from the scheme and will be taxable.

On the standard scheme you pay HMRC the output VAT you've charged less the input VAT you've paid. The whole thing is revenue and corporation tax neutral.

Comment

Not enough people speaking to their accountants IMO.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
            ???

10k + VAT = £12k. On FRS at 16.5% you pay £1980 VAT
            on normal VAT you pay £2000 VAT. The difference is £20 not £350.

FRS is a calculated gross, std VAT is calculated net.
            you clearly don't understand it or are bad a maths or both
            if you're on flat rate you receive 2000 VAT from the agency or your client and you pay 1650 to HMRC VAT
            so you keep 350 in your pocket over which you pay 20% corporation tax which leave you with 280 Nett in your pocket
            If you're not on a flat rate you pay the full 2000 to HMRC minus whatever VAT you paid to others and zero in your pocket so to go on full VAT rate is only profitable if you're expenses are £1400+VAT or over else you should stay on flat rate.

Comment

if you're on flat rate you receive 2000 VAT from the agency or your client and you pay 1650 to HMRC VAT
              so you keep 350 in your pocket over which you pay 20% corporation tax which leave you with 280 Nett in your pocket
              If you're not on a flat rate you pay the full 2000 to HMRC minus whatever VAT you paid to others and zero in your pocket so to go on full VAT rate is only profitable if you're expenses are £1400+VAT or over else you should stay on flat rate.

Comment

And clearly you don't either.

You charge the agency £10,000 a month + £2000 in VAT

On the FRS scheme you (assuming 14.5% rate) you paid VAT to HMRC at £12,000 * 14.5% = £1760. So there was £240 difference / profit.

Now under the FRS scheme you pay VAT back to HMRC at £12,000 * 16.5% = £1980. So there is only £20 profit from the FRS scheme.
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

net invoice =X
                  gross invoice =1.2X
                  (VAT received =0.2X)

VAT to pay to tax man (16.5% FRS) = 0.165*1.2*X =0.198X

VAT kept = 0.2X-0.198X = 0.002X

please disprove my maths

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    And clearly you don't either.

You charge the agency £10,000 a month + £2000 in VAT

On the FRS scheme you (assuming 14.5% rate) you paid VAT to HMRC at £12,000 * 14.5% = £1760. So there was £240 difference / profit.

Now under the FRS scheme you pay VAT back to HMRC at £12,000 * 16.5% = £1980. So there is only £20 profit from the FRS scheme.
                    ok I admit I'm wrong I my mistake was it's 16.5 over 12000 and not 16.5 over 10000

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Not enough people speaking to their accountants IMO.
                      I beg to differ [emoji3]

Comment

Working...
                      X