• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Student loan repayment - self assessment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student loan repayment - self assessment

Did my wife's self assessment, first tax year where she was a director in the company.
    It seems the dividend payments for the tax year have taken her over the threshold for student loan repayments and it's added £2k to her tax bill.
    Anyone else experienced this, I was a bit naive and hadn't considered this. Anyway I can avoid paying in one lump and repay in installments instead?.

Originally posted by spottyseagull View Post
    Did my wife's self assessment, first tax year where she was a director in the company.
    It seems the dividend payments for the tax year have taken her over the threshold for student loan repayments and it's added £2k to her tax bill.
    Anyone else experienced this, I was a bit naive and hadn't considered this. Anyway I can avoid paying in one lump and repay in installments instead?.
    If the dividend payments only "just" took her over the threshold (19k) then the bill would be no way near 2k, it would only be 9% of whatever was over 19k (assuming she graduated before 2015)

It sounds like she's received ~41k (9% of (41000-19000) ~ 2000)
    edit/clarification: ~41k total income, not necessarily just your dividends

AFAIK there's no 'normal' way of paying it instalments instead but if you're really going to struggle to pay it I suppose you could contact HMRC and ask them, they'd rather get some money than no money but it would probably put you under a spot light
    Last edited by pr1; 3 October 2016, 07:52.

Comment

And some say accountants are expensive.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Anyway I can avoid paying in one lump and repay in installments instead?.
        No.

HTHBIDI

Comment

Ah, rookie error.

If you genuinely can't afford to pay it then like anyone else she needs to speak to HMRC and arrange a payment plan. As somebody else said, they'd prefer it gets paid off in instalments than not at all.

Now you've made the mistake, you hopefully won't make it again and will remember to set aside any student loan repayments on top of any taxes due each time you declare a dividend.

Comment

You could just ignore it as it's her problem not yours
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              Now THAT is what you call quality advice!!! Booooom!
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                And some say good accountants are expensive.
                FTFY

Mine hasn't mentioned anything about repaying my student loan

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  D I V O R C E can be very expensive.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                  X