• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract stated services

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract stated services

I'm finalising my contract with my client and I'd like to get some thoughts on specifying the services to be provided. The role relates to a programme of work and coaching of the methodology to be developed.

Using the ipse template so it passed with qdos (free review) and they don't see a need for it to be any more specific but that seems to contradict advice on here.

At the moment it's.

Introduction
    The Client requires expert Change Management and Process Improvement assistance in connection with programme abc, an overarching programme consisting of projects to...

Services
    The Consultancy will provide [job role] services.
    Thoughts? I know most agency contracts don't have more than a job title.

Thanks
    Last edited by TheBA; 7 September 2016, 16:05.

Originally posted by TheBA View Post

Thanks
    I don't think that's true at all. From memory everyone I've had came with an associated schedule, task list or role profile. In the cases with role profiles I've had to ask them to re-format to look like a schedule of work which they've not had a problem doing as its just a format change.

You should be able to cobble something together from the spec you were given and if not from discussions in the interview etc? It should detail the deliverables while you are there which shouldn't be too difficult to document?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I don't tend to go into too much detail. I make sure I state the nature of the services (eg ruby or iOS development), what the actual project is and make sure the scope is clear and not too broad.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I don't think that's true at all. From memory everyone I've had came with an associated schedule, task list or role profile. In the cases with role profiles I've had to ask them to re-format to look like a schedule of work which they've not had a problem doing as its just a format change.

You should be able to cobble something together from the spec you were given and if not from discussions in the interview etc? It should detail the deliverables while you are there which shouldn't be too difficult to document?
        Okay, that was purely based on my experience and when I've queried this with contractor friends and qdos so not the most statistically sound statement I've ever made. There is a schedule but within that the service /role/deliverable is little more than job title.

It's not difficult, it's more is there any point? Off the top of my head; defining a change process/delivering projects, including the analysis, within the programme using the change process, providing coaching in the specific change skill set I have and they need.
        Last edited by TheBA; 7 September 2016, 18:42.

Comment

Okay, that was purely based on my experience and when I've queried this with contractor friends and qdos so not the most statistically sound statement I've ever made. There is a schedule but within that the service /role/deliverable is little more than job title.

It's not difficult, it's more is there any point? Off the top of my head; defining a change process/delivering projects, including the analysis, within the programme using the change process, providing coaching in the specific change skill set I have and they need.
          Up to you, they are your business affairs.

I prefer things to be how I want when I sign, especially for a direct contract, hence why currently I'm facing a few days extra bench time.
          Contract changes required were required by me; what was "not at all possible", prior to getting an MD loosely involved, is now escalated to a senior management chain.

I suspect changes will be made tomorrow
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

The point is it could be key if you get investigated for IR35. Without a clear schedule it could look like you are just a permie and it will be difficult to prove you are not being directed and controlled as its not clear what you were supposed to be delivering and what's above and beyond.

It can also be a fall back if the client is playing silly buggers giving you stuff. At least you can fall back on what was agreed.

If it's pretty simple with a few lines then fair enough. Just make sure it reflects what was agreed and you aren't just paying it lip service in case you need it in the future
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the advice all

MMM, you suspect correct but then I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place if I had no intention of changing it.

NLUK, fair comments. QDOS didn't make a great deal of it when I have queried generic job titles, which, I think is clouding my initial concerns.

I think my other concern is that beyond some initial tactical stuff in one area of the business, the specific projects to be run will be defined by me in collaboration with the business areas once I start. On that basis, beyond the overarching programme there are a few grey areas and tasks can only be defined in generic terms as above. Is that really any better than a generic role title? I guess maybe a little

Comment

Thanks for the advice all

MMM, you suspect correct but then I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place if I had no intention of changing it.

NLUK, fair comments. QDOS didn't make a great deal of it when I have queried generic job titles, which, I think is clouding my initial concerns.

I think my other concern is that beyond some initial tactical stuff in one area of the business, the specific projects to be run will be defined by me in collaboration with the business areas once I start. On that basis, beyond the overarching programme there are a few grey areas and tasks can only be defined in generic terms as above. Is that really any better than a generic role title? I guess maybe a little
                Eh? No, I was discussing my own current situation and the trouble I have had changing exactly this.
                I was trying to point out that I wouldn't do it, if it wasn't worth the hassle....
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'm finalising my contract with my client and I'd like to get some thoughts on specifying the services to be provided. The role relates to a programme of work and coaching of the methodology to be developed.

Using the ipse template so it passed with qdos (free review) and they don't see a need for it to be any more specific but that seems to contradict advice on here.

At the moment it's.

Thanks

I always make sure it's technical deliverables. That way neither the agent, HMRC, or a judge, would understand them. It's difficult to challenge what they don't understand.

And I always invoice with words that match the details in the specification.
                  Last edited by Lance; 8 September 2016, 07:37.
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                  X