• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long should you wait for your accounts after year end

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long should you wait for your accounts after year end

Ltd Co. year end finished in February. Accountants have all the information from MyCo.

I've been asking for the year end accounts on a semi regular basis since then, the latest response is that they will *try* and get them done in the next two weeks.

There is no desperate reason to have them done other than being able to have an accurate view of the retained profits from last year along side those accruing this year.

How long is it reasonable to wait for your Ltd Co. accounts after year end?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Very early in my SJD term I needed it doing quite soon after year end for a mortgage and they wanted to charge me to do it outside some window in which they did batches.

Have they told you when they would do them if you hadn't asked? Sometime coming up to the deadline?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cynics View:

Because you have already paid them for the year which you are referring to, your payments since your Financial Year end are now contributing to the new financial year. Therefore, you are partly paying in advance for services rendered.

It is in their interest to delay the production of your Accounts for as long as possible, for cashflow reasons, as well as it being more difficult should you wish to exit their services and find a new Accountant.

Ask them whether you can pause your monthly payments until such time as they have produced your Accounts, for which you have already paid, at which stage you will resume their remittances?
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

My year end is November. I complete the detaails with InTouch early in December (same as for a normal month) and typically they send me the final paperwork in February.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Ltd Co. year end finished in February. Accountants have all the information from MyCo.

I've been asking for the year end accounts on a semi regular basis since then, the latest response is that they will *try* and get them done in the next two weeks.

There is no desperate reason to have them done other than being able to have an accurate view of the retained profits from last year along side those accruing this year.

Don't you need to pay your corporation tax 9 months after your year end? You'll need your accounts done by then so you know how much to pay, also if you don't have the money sitting in your account ready to pay HMRC then you may need time to get the money together as depending on your profit amount it could be a sizeable chunk of money and you don't want any surprises.

I'd be kicking off with them for such a delay, they obviously don't value your business

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernManc78 View Post
            Don't you need to pay your corporation tax 9 months after your year end? You'll need your accounts done by then so you know how much to pay, also if you don't have the money sitting in your account ready to pay HMRC then you may need time to get the money together as depending on your profit amount it could be a sizeable chunk of money and you don't want any surprises.

I'd be kicking off with them for such a delay, they obviously don't value your business
            Why wouldn't you have the corporation tax money already?

You could always make a guess of what it's likely to be, pay that plus a bit more, then get paid interest for paying early.

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
              Why wouldn't you have the corporation tax money already?

You could always make a guess of what it's likely to be, pay that plus a bit more, then get paid interest for paying early.
              It could be in a higher interest needing notice or invested elsewhere.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Another good reason to DIY. My accounts are ready when I get around to it.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Always drives me crackers waiting for them, you pay for them all year and they take months to produce them

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

Hi Dave

We try and aim to get the accounts done within 4-6 weeks of the year end but this isn't set in stone and we go through busier/quieter periods so sometimes it's much quicker (quickest was the day after the yearend) sometimes it's a bit longer.

If you've been asking for them on a semi regular basis then I'd have expected that your accounts should have been done already because you are obviously keen to get them sorted.

Martin
                    Contratax Ltd

Comment

Working...
                    X