• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

can I claim back my IPSE membership?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can I claim back my IPSE membership?

as per the title, can I claim back my IPSE membership or should it come out of my own pocket?

Yes it can be a company expense, however it is not allowable for Corporation tax so won't save your company any tax.

Personally you will likely be better off paying via the company due to the dividend tax most likely payable if drawn from the company as a dividend to make payment.

Comment

thanks, just wanted to double check as I need to fill out my p11d questionnaire

Comment

Originally posted by cinek View Post
        thanks, just wanted to double check as I need to fill out my p11d questionnaire
        We had a discussion about this last year - IIRC, as long as the membership is in yourCo name, it doesn't need to go on the P11D.

Comment

It's not on the approved list though is it. Minor and pretty irrelevant point but kind of interesting. Isn't it something to do with them possibly having to disclose membership and they refused. I can't remember now.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            It's not on the approved list though is it. Minor and pretty irrelevant point but kind of interesting. Isn't it something to do with them possibly having to disclose membership and they refused. I can't remember now.
            I believe that is exactly it. They didn't want HMRC to have membership details...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny@MyAccountantFriend View Post
              Yes it can be a company expense, however it is not allowable for Corporation tax so won't save your company any tax.

Personally you will likely be better off paying via the company due to the dividend tax most likely payable if drawn from the company as a dividend to make payment.
              Does (should) it include class 1a ni ?

I am sure lots will just put it through an not exclude it from the ct calc anyway.

Comment

As the company is not receiving tax relief on the expense and I don't believe they would have the cover of the company was removed from the equation I would not include it on a P11d, although I know others do.

To my knowledge it has not been tested either way by HMRC.

Comment

I pay for it personally.... Sure I was advise to do so.... No idea by who though

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
                    I pay for it personally.... Sure I was advise to do so.... No idea by who though
                    Might be worth reviewing with the div tax. Esp with the £2.35 a year price increase!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X