• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is convicted ex accountant Darren Upton practicing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nigel Miller View Post
    He hasn't left Fox Bartfield. His LinkedIn isn't telling the truth.
    Surely, it should be easy to just check their 'team' page, right?

Google 'darren site:fox-bartfield.co.uk' and what do you see? Well, Google says this:
    Darren Roberts. Partner. Learn more · Dominic Abbasi. Account Manager. Learn more · Adam Barton. Partner. Learn more. Where are we? Fox Bartfield (Head ...
    The link is Team Archive - Fox Bartfield.

And when you click on it, what happens? 'No posts found on your query. Try again with different parameters....'

They've pulled down their team page. So my conclusion is they know exactly who he is and are probably hiding him in the back bedroom.

I'm going to speculate that Dynamo / Henton didn't know. I'm going to guess he changed his name by deed poll, so he had ID to satisfy them, and they didn't recognise him at first. If they knew, they wouldn't have put his picture on the Internet, so they weren't trying to hide him. He probably gave them some story for not wanting his picture on their website, and maybe never knew about the tweet, or decided it would give the game away if he asked to have that taken down after the fact.

Maybe someone recognised him and they dumped him, or maybe the opportunity to go to FB made him think he had a better chance to hide with them.

He probably used the name 'Darren' because he's answered to it all his life, and changing that would be just too hard. If he changes to something else he'll end up getting caught out eventually.

To be fair, I'd rather he work than live on the dole, and he probably doesn't know how to do anything else. If it were all up-front with his firm having specific controls on what he could and couldn't do, I'd wish him all the best. Good for them if they are going to give someone a chance to rebuild his life. But when everything is secretive then it gives you no confidence that such controls are in place, does it? Makes you feel like a dishonest firm has taken on a dishonest guy and they are going to do dishonest things. Blech.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Due to ongoing legal proceedings, we cannot comment any further at this point
      Well well well.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
        Surely, it should be easy to just check their 'team' page, right?

Google 'darren site:fox-bartfield.co.uk' and what do you see? Well, Google says this:

The link is Team Archive - Fox Bartfield.

And when you click on it, what happens? 'No posts found on your query. Try again with different parameters....'

They've pulled down their team page. So my conclusion is they know exactly who he is and are probably hiding him in the back bedroom.

I'm going to speculate that Dynamo / Henton didn't know. I'm going to guess he changed his name by deed poll, so he had ID to satisfy them, and they didn't recognise him at first. If they knew, they wouldn't have put his picture on the Internet, so they weren't trying to hide him. He probably gave them some story for not wanting his picture on their website, and maybe never knew about the tweet, or decided it would give the game away if he asked to have that taken down after the fact.

Maybe someone recognised him and they dumped him, or maybe the opportunity to go to FB made him think he had a better chance to hide with them.

He probably used the name 'Darren' because he's answered to it all his life, and changing that would be just too hard. If he changes to something else he'll end up getting caught out eventually.

To be fair, I'd rather he work than live on the dole, and he probably doesn't know how to do anything else. If it were all up-front with his firm having specific controls on what he could and couldn't do, I'd wish him all the best. Good for them if they are going to give someone a chance to rebuild his life. But when everything is secretive then it gives you no confidence that such controls are in place, does it? Makes you feel like a dishonest firm has taken on a dishonest guy and they are going to do dishonest things. Blech.
        I followed a similar thought trail myself. Hentons look like a decent firm so I'm surprised he got through their hiring due dilligence, if indeed this is Mr Upton.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          FYI, the response from Dynamo to my email is as follows

"Darren Roberts ceased employment at Dynamo Accounts in April 2018. Due to ongoing legal proceedings, we cannot comment any further at this point. The company has invested in attracting talented professionals and the latest technology to move the business forward and continues to go from strength to strength helping contractors and small businesses across the UK."
          That lets you know, doesn't it? 'Ongoing legal proceedings'. They are still calling him 'Darren Roberts' so the name change seems a good bet.

I suspect he even kept 'Darren John', based on this: Darren Roberts | AccountingWEB

Meanwhile, what just hit my inbox? An email from CUK, with an ad right across the top for who? Why, Fox-Bartfield.

A cynical person would say CUK is sitting quiet on all this because they have a nice little ad revenue stream they don't want to mess with. I'm not quite that cynical, I'd say it is more likely they are still trying to figure out what exactly they can/should do without ironclad proof. But it doesn't look good to be taking revenue from F-B right now....

Comment

That lets you know, doesn't it? 'Ongoing legal proceedings'. They are still calling him 'Darren Roberts' so the name change seems a good bet.

I suspect he even kept 'Darren John', based on this: Darren Roberts | AccountingWEB

Meanwhile, what just hit my inbox? An email from CUK, with an ad right across the top for who? Why, Fox-Bartfield.

A cynical person would say CUK is sitting quiet on all this because they have a nice little ad revenue stream they don't want to mess with. I'm not quite that cynical, I'd say it is more likely they are still trying to figure out what exactly they can/should do without ironclad proof. But it doesn't look good to be taking revenue from F-B right now....
            Nor giving an ex-con the forum adviser of the year mantle.

Comment

I guess at least we now have an explanation for the silence from Dynamo/Henton.

Comment

True.

Less of an excuse from FB or indeed Generate.

Comment

Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
                  Ok, but I'm not cynical enough to believe they knew before this thread, or even before the last week or so. There was no compelling reason to believe Nigel. It's the picture, compounded by just too many other coincidences.

Comment

Ok, but I'm not cynical enough to believe they knew before this thread, or even before the last week or so. There was no compelling reason to believe Nigel. It's the picture, compounded by just too many other coincidences.
                    I wasn't trying to be snide, but appreciate the comment may have come across that way. Apologies CUK!

Comment

Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
                      If all this is true then surely we should withdraw the award for both years and it should go to the second place candidate in what was a close run thing both years.

I humbly accept and thank all those that supported me in winning the award two years running.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X