• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non UK resident claiming expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non UK resident claiming expenses

I'm considering a contracting role in UK. I'm Australian but have an EU passport, so no issues there.
    My question is, if I set up shop in UK would I be able to claim rent, living costs etc as an expense ?
    I would still be resident in Australia & supporting a family, house etc here.
    I've contracted in UK before & was getting paid into a UK bank account via what was probably what is termed now as an umbrella company which was organised by an agency but I cant remember the details however at the time it never even occurred to me to investigate claiming costs.
    Hopefully someone can clarify
    cheers

The mind boggles at why anyone from Australia would ever want to come here to work?
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      The mind boggles at why anyone from Australia would ever want to come here to work?
      The Waters !

Comment

Short answer, no.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Short answer, no.
          Slightly longer answer, it depends.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The short answer is likely to be "No".

What will the setup be? Ltd company registered in England & Wales? Umbrella?

Where will you physically be when you do the work? If it's the UK, how many days per year will you be here? Do you understand the difference between ordinarily resident and tax resident? Domiciled vs non-domiciled?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
              Walkabout are always hiring, or so it seems.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

He's talking about about setting up shop and living and working on the UK. Im making the assumption this this would be for 6 months+, otherwise not worth the trip.
                Hence my short answer.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  He's talking about about setting up shop and living and working on the UK. Im making the assumption this this would be for 6 months+, otherwise not worth the trip.
                  Hence my short answer.
                  yep, correct assumption
                  Ive no idea on tax rules ...ie resident / tax resident/non domiciled etc etc.

Would it be any different if I became a resident in an EU country ?

Comment

Originally posted by TelcoKid View Post
                    yep, correct assumption
                    Ive no idea on tax rules ...ie resident / tax resident/non domiciled etc etc.

Would it be any different if I became a resident in an EU country ?
                    We have no idea because we are already here. I'd check an ex-pats forum or something locally to you so you can ask people in a similar situation to yourself.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X