• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Non UK resident claiming expenses"

Collapse

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by ASB View Post
    You can (and probably will) be resident in both the UK and AUS. The terms of the DTA will govern who taxes what and what reliefs and offsets are available.

What is claimable against the relevant taxes may be different in both regimes.
    I understood the ATO rates are higher than the UK and they tax worldwide income. So I reckon the OP will pay tax in the UK then pay the difference to the ATO.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by TelcoKid View Post
    Well I'm in the mood for something mad ..getting bored with my current situation ..but more important the money is better -flying time to Venice 2hrs -Guinness in Ireland even closer !!
    ..besides ..whats so bad about UK ? ..Ive lived there before & never had any issues & I enjoyed my time there
    There's no f******g jobs! If you're in O&G, forget about it, seriously.

Leave a comment:

• TelcoKid
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    I've just come back from Australia, and you must be mad to leave there to come work here.
    Well I'm in the mood for something mad ..getting bored with my current situation ..but more important the money is better -flying time to Venice 2hrs -Guinness in Ireland even closer !!
    ..besides ..whats so bad about UK ? ..Ive lived there before & never had any issues & I enjoyed my time there

Leave a comment:

• ASB
    replied
    yep, correct assumption
    Ive no idea on tax rules ...ie resident / tax resident/non domiciled etc etc.

Would it be any different if I became a resident in an EU country ?
    You can (and probably will) be resident in both the UK and AUS. The terms of the DTA will govern who taxes what and what reliefs and offsets are available.

What is claimable against the relevant taxes may be different in both regimes.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    The OP fails the tests of "wholly and exclusively for the purpose of trade". So, no he cannot claim.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    I've just come back from Australia, and you must be mad to leave there to come work here.
    +1.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    yep, correct assumption

We have no idea because we are already here. I'd check an ex-pats forum or something locally to you so you can ask people in a similar situation to yourself.

Leave a comment:

• TelcoKid
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    He's talking about about setting up shop and living and working on the UK. Im making the assumption this this would be for 6 months+, otherwise not worth the trip.
    Hence my short answer.
    yep, correct assumption

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    He's talking about about setting up shop and living and working on the UK. Im making the assumption this this would be for 6 months+, otherwise not worth the trip.
    Hence my short answer.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    The mind boggles at why anyone from Australia would ever want to come here to work?
    Walkabout are always hiring, or so it seems.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    The short answer is likely to be "No".

What will the setup be? Ltd company registered in England & Wales? Umbrella?

Where will you physically be when you do the work? If it's the UK, how many days per year will you be here? Do you understand the difference between ordinarily resident and tax resident? Domiciled vs non-domiciled?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Short answer, no.
    Slightly longer answer, it depends.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Short answer, no.

Leave a comment:

• TelcoKid
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    The mind boggles at why anyone from Australia would ever want to come here to work?
    The Waters !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X