• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much do you put in your pension?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting thread to read. I've just turned 30 and looking to start my first pension.

Was thinking around £300 p/m but reading through thinking that's a little short! OK to start with though maybe.

Did have a BTL planned but it fell through last minute, too late now for another due to the stamp duty rise.

Comment

Having a huge pension pot didn't help John Lennon...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Having a huge pension pot didn't help John Lennon...
        Yeah, if you are planning to live in NY and get shot by a lunatic, don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
          Yeah, if you are planning to live in NY and get shot by a lunatic, don't bother.
          Any advice for the veggies? Didn't help Linda McCartney much either.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

My LtdCo puts the £40k in for me; have done for the last three years and plan to continue doing so.

Transferred a couple of old permie pots into my SIPP and its worth about 280k - shame I didn't start earlier as I'm 53.

Comment

No pension whatsoever. I don't believe in that.
              My retirement plan is: if I am lucky to be contracting until I am 41-42, to get as many property as possible and let them (even with the 3% st.d.). ~£3300/month income from that. Additional £10 000/yr in dividends.
              Then move to a nicer island than this rain pissing place.

Comment

Thanks for that useful input bro.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeoc1962 View Post
                  My LtdCo puts the £40k in for me; have done for the last three years and plan to continue doing so.

Transferred a couple of old permie pots into my SIPP and its worth about 280k - shame I didn't start earlier as I'm 53.
                  Not too shabby, another 4 or 5 years you'll have £0.5 million. That's OK at a 4% annual draw down with pretty low risk.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    Not too shabby, another 4 or 5 years you'll have £0.5 million. That's OK at a 4% annual draw down with pretty low risk.
                    And this epitomizes why I don't have faith in a traditional (i.e. 'safe' pension)... you put away £500k and then hope that you can get 4% output from it when you're retired. £20k a year, which will just about pay for your gas bill and food from Aldi. Any less than 4% and you're really stuffed.

You've got to be more creative, especially when the government is doing everything in its power to stop you from having a comfortable retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                      And this epitomizes why I don't have faith in a traditional (i.e. 'safe' pension)... you put away £500k and then hope that you can get 4% output from it when you're retired. £20k a year, which will just about pay for your gas bill and food from Aldi. Any less than 4% and you're really stuffed.

You've got to be more creative, especially when the government is doing everything in its power to stop you from having a comfortable retirement.
                      What an exaggeration.

The state pension just about covers shopping at Aldi and the gas bill. That's because the majority of pensioners don't have the two biggest out goings of working people - mortgage/rent and commuting costs.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X