• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking more than alotted holiday time as a permie.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I've done it when I was permanent - I took a month off unpaid because I needed to get away from the place...
    Back when I was a manager, one of my staff (Nel) asked for unpaid leave on the grounds that he was finding it difficult to cope and just needed a break. I discussed with the HR rep., and we told him to make an appointment with the company doctor. The doc diagnosed stress, and signed Nel off for four weeks on sick (full pay), with the proviso that he have a few tests "just in case".

Nel got a call a few days later. "Please come into hospital. Probably best you don't drive". Turned out it was a brain tumour. Surgery was successful, but unfortunately it turned out to be malignant. The tumour came back and he died two years later. If he hadn't seen a doctor, he'd've been dead in a few months.

The HR director authorised an ex-gratia payment to fully make up Nel's pension, so his widow and daughter got full pension.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It's pretty much at the company's discretion. Some see it as a favour - if you've worked there for (say) five years, you can take a sabbatical. Of course they might just think they're paying you too much if you can afford unpaid breaks.

Comment

Well that story really cheered me up NAT.. Thanks
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Well that story really cheered me up NAT.. Thanks
          Just goes to prove that asking for extra time off as a permie could be a symptom of a brain tumour. Someone warn the sockie, er, OP.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
            Just goes to prove that asking for extra time off as a permie could be a symptom of a brain tumour. Someone warn the sockie, er, OP.
            Who's is this one? I can't keep up.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Sick pay isn't guaranteed in your job.
              In my last permie job it was 6 months full pay and then 6 months half, most professional companies offer a few weeks/months. Contractor with a leg hanging off = crawls in on hands and knees to get to work, permie sneezes = a week in front off Jeremy Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                In my last permie job it was 6 months full pay and then 6 months half, most professional companies offer a few weeks/months. Contractor with a leg hanging off = crawls in on hands and knees to get to work, permie sneezes = a week in front off Jeremy Kyle
                Some companies work out how to make you redundant after 3 months off then wonder why the face a lot of law suits.

Oh I forgot that was my completely sh*t permie employer.....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Some companies work out how to make you redundant after 3 months off then wonder why the face a lot of law suits.

Oh I forgot that was my completely sh*t permie employer.....
                  NHS are pretty good for sick pay / crap at getting rid of you.

My mrs was very ill when pregnant, had months off, then had a year maternity leave, then was ill again. All genuine before you ask. Then had pretty much another 6 months full pay, then 6 months half play PLUS SSP (which because she was part-time ended up being nearly full pay).

They still were only just starting to get things going to get rid of her. In the end she had pretty much 2.5 years off on near enough full pay. Also,she got to keep all her leave accrued during this time.

Good news is that, even though shes not 100% well and probably never will be, she got re-assigned and now does a similar job that she can cope with.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

I had the option through my flexible benefits to 'buy' extra holidays at HP so although not a Q you should ask too early in the interview process you should be able to establish if that option is available during your research.
                    So now I am worried, am I being deceived, just how much sugar is really in a spoon full!

Comment

Accruing holiday pay while off sick is a strange one, I had an ex colleague who went a bit loopy and was off for 6 months, came back and after a few weeks took his months annual leave before it expired at the end of April, come to think of he got 7 months off at home while the rest of us wage slaves were in and doing overtime, looks like we were the nutters rather than him

Comment

Working...
                      X