• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Taking more than alotted holiday time as a permie."

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
    If it's a dev job right now they'll do anything to hire you, many companies offer the ability to buy additional holiday or take unpaid leave, if you ask up front you'll either find they do it or you can negotiate it in quite easily.
    Lots of companies give their highly skilled staff additional unpaid leave if they ask for it and it can be fitted in around a project. Why? If they didn't they can find themselves having to recruit someone else.

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    If it's a dev job right now they'll do anything to hire you, many companies offer the ability to buy additional holiday or take unpaid leave, if you ask up front you'll either find they do it or you can negotiate it in quite easily.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    It seems one also accrues holiday during maternity leave these days. Does seem very strange.
    Yes. Dear wife was off for 3 months ill, 9 months maternity, then 1 year ill again. Ended up with 2 years leave....

And employers is not allowed to make you lose it at year end (i.e. they have to allow carry over). Mrs did use some before she started new role but new manager was not impressed when she said she had something like 8 weeks leave to use by april (pretty much 6 months).

She offered to work these holidays and get paid but they refused this. Since xmas though shes had pretty much every other week off.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    God bless the EU!
    To be fair some Supreme court judges just refer certain cases straight there because they can't be bothered to rule.

Leave a comment:

• juckky
    replied
    I worked for a large corporate as a perm and they had a policy that if you wanted unpaid leave it had to be a minimum duration of 2 months and a max of 12 months. It was all at the Manager's discretion and only really suited those who were going travelling as for most people with kids 2 months without pay is not easy to swallow.

Based on the inflexibility I decided being a perm sucked (+ the effective 60% tax rate at 100-120k, unable to claim for £1200 worth of travel each month, use the Wife's tax free allowance ....) sorry, I got carried away there.

But I now have my first contract and am happy to be rid of the chains of being a perm! As a contractor do I have to subject myself to quarterly bull!£"$ appraisals?

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you are sick, pregnant or looking after a child (as it includes adopters) you aren't actually on holiday so the European Court of Justice rule this.
    God bless the EU!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    It seems one also accrues holiday during maternity leave these days. Does seem very strange.
    If you are sick, pregnant or looking after a child (as it includes adopters) you aren't actually on holiday so the European Court of Justice rule this.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Accruing holiday pay while off sick is a strange one, I had an ex colleague who went a bit loopy and was off for 6 months, came back and after a few weeks took his months annual leave before it expired at the end of April, come to think of he got 7 months off at home while the rest of us wage slaves were in and doing overtime, looks like we were the nutters rather than him

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Accruing holiday pay while off sick is a strange one, I had an ex colleague who went a bit loopy and was off for 6 months, came back and after a few weeks took his months annual leave before it expired at the end of April, come to think of he got 7 months off at home while the rest of us wage slaves were in and doing overtime, looks like we were the nutters rather than him

Leave a comment:

• DallasDad
    replied
    I had the option through my flexible benefits to 'buy' extra holidays at HP so although not a Q you should ask too early in the interview process you should be able to establish if that option is available during your research.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Some companies work out how to make you redundant after 3 months off then wonder why the face a lot of law suits.

Oh I forgot that was my completely sh*t permie employer.....
    NHS are pretty good for sick pay / crap at getting rid of you.

My mrs was very ill when pregnant, had months off, then had a year maternity leave, then was ill again. All genuine before you ask. Then had pretty much another 6 months full pay, then 6 months half play PLUS SSP (which because she was part-time ended up being nearly full pay).

They still were only just starting to get things going to get rid of her. In the end she had pretty much 2.5 years off on near enough full pay. Also,she got to keep all her leave accrued during this time.

Good news is that, even though shes not 100% well and probably never will be, she got re-assigned and now does a similar job that she can cope with.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    In my last permie job it was 6 months full pay and then 6 months half, most professional companies offer a few weeks/months. Contractor with a leg hanging off = crawls in on hands and knees to get to work, permie sneezes = a week in front off Jeremy Kyle
    Some companies work out how to make you redundant after 3 months off then wonder why the face a lot of law suits.

Oh I forgot that was my completely sh*t permie employer.....

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Sick pay isn't guaranteed in your job.
    In my last permie job it was 6 months full pay and then 6 months half, most professional companies offer a few weeks/months. Contractor with a leg hanging off = crawls in on hands and knees to get to work, permie sneezes = a week in front off Jeremy Kyle

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Just goes to prove that asking for extra time off as a permie could be a symptom of a brain tumour. Someone warn the sockie, er, OP.
    Who's is this one? I can't keep up.

Leave a comment:

• WordIsBond
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Well that story really cheered me up NAT.. Thanks
    Just goes to prove that asking for extra time off as a permie could be a symptom of a brain tumour. Someone warn the sockie, er, OP.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X