• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone using State Bank of India for savings? (1.5%)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone using State Bank of India for savings? (1.5%)

State Bank of India offer a 1.5% easy access business savings account.

With the tax-free portion of dividends being reduced to 5k + salary in April, it makes sense to save your money in the business as efficiently as possible. The previous method of pulling out your war chest (under the higher limit) to invest elsewhere is no longer an option with the 7% tax.

Anyone had experience with this bank? They seem to offer the best easy access returns but what is their website like, how long do transfers take, what was it like for you to set the account up?
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Won't you get more being smart using an Aldermore fixed for corp tax another longer Aldermore fixed for anything above the war chest and an instant access at 1.25% for the rest?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Won't you get more being smart using an Aldermore fixed for corp tax another longer Aldermore fixed for anything above the war chest and an instant access at 1.25% for the rest?
      It's 1.1% for the easy access account but, yes.

I wouldn't touch State Bank of India TBH. Crappy website (as though someone designed it from their bedroom) and the application process reminds me of "I'll just need two references"...they want articles of association, for example. It has a UK banking license, so FSCS protected. No idea what the customer service is like, but I suspect it's crap if the website is anything to go by. My 2p anyway

Comment

BTW, given that ER (via MvL) is no longer really an option until you plan to retire (and will probably be gone by then), and the consequences of being flagged as a non-trading or a close investment holding company aren't what they used to be (i.e. main and small business CT rates are the same now), active investments have become more attractive IMO, particularly when you consider the additional tax required to get the money out and benefit from the CGT annual allowance on personal investments.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          It's 1.1% for the easy access account but, yes.
          Ah yes you are right sorry. Was looking at the wrong product.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You have to either open in branch, or send certified copies of lots of papers to open the account - I looked recently because I need to spread money between different banking institutions.

If you haven't got money in Aldermore, then that seems to be the best bet - particularly if you want a longer-term fix but not too long. Alternatively, CC Bank do a good 95 day account - their 30 day account used to be much better than it is now, so it may be worth checking regularly to see if it's got better.

Edit - CC Bank no longer do a 95 day account. It's 1.3% on 45 day terms, 2% on two year terms, 2.75 on five year terms.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Just makes property seem more appealing.

Take the hit on higher rate tax getting it out of the corporate coffers, invest in property and have a long-term appreciating asset on your hands
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

What could possibly go wrong? Remember Icesave and quite a few others? Iceland defaulted on their overseas debts
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  What could possibly go wrong? Remember Icesave and quite a few others? Iceland defaulted on their overseas debts
                  Bank of India is covered by FSCS

Comment

Working...
                  X