• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there a "good" time to switch accountants, and who does CUK recommend?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nixon Williams are the 'other' one a lot of people use, I like them.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

I switched Accountants mid year after getting pissed off with the poor advice given by my local accountant that I'd been using for ~6 years. As long as you're not in the final week before your accounts are due then you'll probably be ok.

I moved to Martin @Contratax who posts on here. They offer Freeagent as part of their service and would definitely recommend giving him a call if you're looking around. Great friendly service and very competitive price

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        The freeagent is part of the package from my accountant (Gorilla Accounting) as part of their monthly fees but a number of other agents use it as well. Some have their own portals like InTouch.

As useful as freeagent is it is just a tool. I still think it's worthwhile paying for the full service so I can pick the phone up and ask for advice and guidance. So much is changing come April I'm happy letting them understand the detail and then advising me.

They have access to it so we can both instantly see the situation and they do a quarterly health check when they do VAT.

I do remember SJD saying they would accomodate freeagent users but guess you'd have buy it as well as their fees.
        +1

FreeAgent is a great tool that hooks up to your business bank account to help explain all activity
        And Gorilla have been superb and really helped me rectify my poor house keeping of accounts, They're also in my town which helped with initial explaining what i'd done wrong!

Comment

When I moved to InTouch, it was about 10 months through the year (maybe even 11), but they picked up the mess the previous accountant had left me in, and then took the accounts on from there.

I remember having to provide a copy of the invoices from my old accountant because they needed to check I hadn't entered something by mistake because the old fees were about 2 1/2 times the InTouch ones...
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            Nixon Williams are the 'other' one a lot of people use, I like them.
            Same company owns them as SJD now. Used to give plenty of advice on here but seem to have lost interest since the takeover.
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

If you lack confidence in your current guy move on straight away. Most of us will pick up 9 or 10 months into a financial year with no additional back charges.

Comment

Is there a "good" time to switch accountants, and who does CUK recommend?

A good time to switch accountants is before they go to jail for fraud, or before they steal your money.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  Same company owns them as SJD now. Used to give plenty of advice on here but seem to have lost interest since the takeover.
                  Both used to be fairly vocal on here but are no longer. I guess the management team has changed and they don't believe in free advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan @ BroomeAffinity View Post
                    Both used to be fairly vocal on here but are no longer. I guess the management team has changed and they don't believe in free advice.
                    Well it used to be Martin from NW but he doesn't appear on their meet the team page any more and Simon Dolan from SJD who obviously isn't there anymore. I pity the poor sod that starts a job and one of their tasks is to post on CUK. Sounds like grounds for a tribunal to me.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      Well it used to be Martin from NW but he doesn't appear on their meet the team page any more and Simon Dolan from SJD who obviously isn't there anymore. I pity the poor sod that starts a job and one of their tasks is to post on CUK. Sounds like grounds for a tribunal to me.
                      And Alan@NW too
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X