• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Putting up Day rate..?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unix View Post
    Yeah agents love giving away their income, they are true selfless creatures.
    Yeah right better for the agent to keep 100% of nothing rather than 50% of something...

Comment

I told my client I was trying to reduce the agencies cut and to refuse a rate rise if they asked. Sure enough they phoned the client asking to increase the rate and got turned down flat, I only got a small increase but it's money for nothing.

Comment

As ever, people state absolutes on CUK, and get roasted for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
          You think too much, better to trust your contractor instincts.
          Why use instincts when some basic economics will do.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            Well then the contractor guy is a fool.
            He was weak in the first place, then allowed the vulture to swoop in, subsequently he was even weaker when he didn't threaten to walk away.

You don't get anything if you don't negotiate.
            You also get less grief, in the following assignment, if you establish a certain level of understanding at the outset.

Been doing it for years
            This guy was straight out of perm so new to contracting. He assumed it was all true.
            A few months down the line client took him on as perm and it all came out.

I thought this was crossing the line a bit. Agent was misrepesenting the client here I thought and making up a story.

Nothing happened to agent though. Big company- all got a bit lost in the mix. But agent probably knew that he could get out of it.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              This guy was straight out of perm so new to contracting. He assumed it was all true.

I thought this was crossing the line a bit. Agent was misrepesenting the client here I thought and making up a story.

Nothing happened to agent though. Big company- all got a bit lost in the mix. But agent probably knew that he could get out of it.
              So a really good example to back up your argument.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                So not really a contractor at all then?

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Most people in the thread seem to be making a fundamental mistake and taking about the client. It's the agents margin where you will get most success. He's made the money he expected in the first gig. The rest is easy money so go for that chunk. Not the clients rate card. That's said we've only got half a story from the OP.
                  Wow, lots of seemingly conflicting advice. Thanks for the replies to all, at least I have a balanced view!

I am not going to approach the client or agent during the extension of current contract, which runs through to May 16. However, I'll be 18 months down line then and seem to be doing well, so I can start my rate negotiations a little higher with next contract.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Again you are talking about the client who has nothing to do with your contract with the agent. Deal with the agent... Who is used to this... The client will never know.
                    I've successfully negotiated with the client. On one occasion it was the agent that requested that I negotiated with the Client.

I agree the best place to start is with the agency as that is who you have a contract with and not the client. But if the agency doesn't budge its not the end of the line.

Just do it in a professional manner. No need to throw toys out of prams. Your trying to sell a win win situation. If the project budget can accommodate and your worth the extra money then the opportunity is there. If the project budget can't accommodate then its down to cutting the agents slice of the pie.

It's best place to do any negotiations at extensions or when your negotiating any changes to scope.

Comment

Working...
                    X