• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Putting up Day rate..?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Putting up Day rate..?

First year done. One 6 month project and contract successfully completed, 6 months into the next and extended to undertake another project for another 6 months. So not sure if i can get away with idiot newbie questions...

When did you consider putting up your day rate? Do you add an annual small percentage, or is it more of a fixed market rate and you put it up when you see your mates around you doing so?

(Fully expect Northernlad will flame me for not looking things up.. but Merry Christmas anyway Northernlad bloke)

always tricky to do it mid-contract IMO. I think the best way to do it is to gather some information on how you have delivered what was required (and possibly more) in the previous contract. Why you think the new contract is worth more (more responsibility/tougher etc) and present that to them.

best of luck with it

Comment

Originally posted by Chutley View Post
      First year done. One 6 month project and contract successfully completed, 6 months into the next and extended to undertake another project for another 6 months. So not sure if i can get away with idiot newbie questions...

When did you consider putting up your day rate? Do you add an annual small percentage, or is it more of a fixed market rate and you put it up when you see your mates around you doing so?

(Fully expect Northernlad will flame me for not looking things up.. but Merry Christmas anyway Northernlad bloke)
      So why don't you? You can imagine every newbie has asked a similar question after their first gig so should be a couple of threads on it.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=in...isA4alUf-GuvAG

Couple of thousand threads for you to have a look at there.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        So why don't you? You can imagine every newbie has asked a similar question after their first gig so should be a couple of threads on it.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=in...isA4alUf-GuvAG

Couple of thousand threads for you to have a look at there.
        Thanks Northern bloke, I think. Most of those threads are talking about mid-contract increase - I am not looking to do that. Just wondering how long I should work at the current rate before I look at putting it up? Or if there is a ceiling rate and that's what it is? I guess it's the 25 years of permie life that expects a pay rise very April...

Comment

Try it on your next gig as part of the negotiations. Expect Mr Agent to try and beat it down you try and push it up.

Guess you'll have some ideas of market rates for your skill set, just try get to the top of it.

Comment

This:-

Originally posted by moneymoney View Post
            always tricky to do it mid-contract IMO. I think the best way to do it is to gather some information on how you have delivered what was required (and possibly more) in the previous contract. Why you think the new contract is worth more (more responsibility/tougher etc) and present that to them.

best of luck with it
            But be prepared to walk, if you are going to really negotiate and don't get what you want.
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

£64000 question. Im in same situation.
              In my experience, clients think the rate you start on is already daylight robbery that they're being forced to pay. Asking them for more EVER is like shagging their mrs and then asking to shag the cat too.

As far as they are concerned, they're stuck paying such a load of money but there's never any chance they'll pay more. This rate, in their head, is until 2099.

Only way to get more is to threaten to leave. But then they get all funny saying you're blackmailing them!

In the past, most clients seem to be the following:-

Before start.
              Client 1 "OK so we've got to get the contractor in"
              Client 2 "HOW MUCH?"

Contractor starts, extension time comes around.
              Client 1 "Now that contractor - its expensive but we're stuck if he leave"
              Client 2 "Bloody money grabbing tossers - can't believe they get that much"

6/12 month down the line.
              Client 1 "Jeez, we still need to keep him here"
              Client 2 "We're going to have to juggle the budget this time - its costing us a fortune!"
              Contractor "Thanks guys, I need 10% extra now"
              Client1/Client2 " NO WAY!"
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

With all due respect.
                Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                Utter twaddle
                Not that I've put my rates up in the past 8 years (which helped when they tried to get me to reduce), but asking for a raise is perfectly normal. First of all, you don't approach the client, you approach the agency. You don't threaten the client, you threaten the agency. But you don't actually use threats, you use a technique called "negotiation". Like:

"I've been at this site for 6 months now and demonstrated my worth. However, I'm getting calls about opportunities that are rather higher. I don't really want to switch, but I can't really continue at my current rate. Can you see about getting me more - either from the client of your margin? Otherwise, reluctantly, I'll have to leave".
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You have the bargaining chip that you have done a 12 months tour of duty, they know your work ethic, know your skill set and calibre and still want you, all positives for a rate increase. Factor in some companies accounts are done Jan to Dec rather than April to March s just ask when they offer the next renewal

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    £64000 question. Im in same situation.
                    In my experience, clients think the rate you start on is already daylight robbery that they're being forced to pay. Asking them for more EVER is like shagging their mrs and then asking to shag the cat too.
                    Is it possible to get any more bollocks in one paragraph? If the Mods really are looking at the quality of advice on here they they've found a good place to start.

As far as they are concerned, they're stuck paying such a load of money but there's never any chance they'll pay more. This rate, in their head, is until 2099.

Only way to get more is to threaten to leave. But then they get all funny saying you're blackmailing them!
                    Improvement... But not much. Still utter crap.

In the past, most clients seem to be the following:-

Before start.
                    Client 1 "OK so we've got to get the contractor in"
                    Client 2 "HOW MUCH?"

Contractor starts, extension time comes around.
                    Client 1 "Now that contractor - its expensive but we're stuck if he leave"
                    Client 2 "Bloody money grabbing tossers - can't believe they get that much"

6/12 month down the line.
                    Client 1 "Jeez, we still need to keep him here"
                    Client 2 "We're going to have to juggle the budget this time - its costing us a fortune!"
                    Contractor "Thanks guys, I need 10% extra now"
                    Client1/Client2 " NO WAY!"
                    Words fail me........ You've excelled yourself PC.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 4 December 2015, 10:41.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X