• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jersey Contract Law

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jersey Contract Law

Howdy peoples,

Long story short.... if a contract requires TWO signatures but only ONE part signs the contract would that contract be enforecable by (Jersey) law, even though the 2nd half has not yet signed the contract?

Not sure if peoplehave any Jersey law experience, all i know is it seems to be backward...

Cheers..

Just some more info (http://www.organic-kids-jersey.com/w...-Aug-2015B.pdf) the wife has signed this but not the husband... in this instance, would it be valid?
    Last edited by anthony; 20 October 2015, 10:11. Reason: more info

Are there no lawyers on Jersey to ask?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Are there no lawyers on Jersey to ask?
      they cost a lot of money .... just wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this type of stuff....

Comment

Originally posted by anthony View Post
        Howdy peoples,

Long story short.... if a contract requires TWO signatures but only ONE part signs the contract would that contract be enforecable by (Jersey) law, even though the 2nd half has not yet signed the contract?

Not sure if peoplehave any Jersey law experience, all i know is it seems to be backward...

Cheers..

Just some more info (http://www.organic-kids-jersey.com/w...-Aug-2015B.pdf) the wife has signed this but not the husband... in this instance, would it be valid?
        So a bit like buying a house you mean? Such as the buyer signs their contract part but the seller doesnt so the buyer still thinks he's bought the house?

Spend some dosh and ask a qualified lawyer. Honestly! And Jersey 'law' FFS?
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
          So a bit like buying a house you mean? Such as the buyer signs their contract part but the seller doesnt so the buyer still thinks he's bought the house?

Spend some dosh and ask a qualified lawyer. Honestly! And Jersey 'law' FFS?
          Dont't know; not purchased a house yet... I say jersey law, cause it is slightly different to UK; albeit part of the UK (when they want too)... suppose the question should have been in order for a contract to become "active and enforceable" do all parties need to sign it or is one sufficient?

Comment

Dont't know; not purchased a house yet... I say jersey law, cause it is slightly different to UK; albeit part of the UK (when they want too)... suppose the question should have been in order for a contract to become "active and enforceable" do all parties need to sign it or is one sufficient?
            On a general note, and it's the same in most countries. A contract can be verbal.

i.e. saying give me a Hamburger means you have to pay.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              On a general note, and it's the same in most countries. A contract can be verbal.

i.e. saying give me a Hamburger means you have to pay.
              Provided it's fit to eat and meets what was requested etc.

Jersey law may well be different, but the very basic maxims of contracts in the UK are:-

Offer (can be verbal, in writing, tattoo'd on your left buttock, you name it)
              Acceptance (as above, can also be have turned up and been allowed to work by the purchasers authorised rep)
              Consideration (payment)

If you're after expensive legal advice for no fee, then you will get advice to that value

I don't know (or care that much if I'm honest) if the single signature would make the contract you're concerned about enforceable, it would need a lot of specific detail to judge and that would also mean there's a FOGB fee to pay

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
                Provided it's fit to eat and meets what was requested etc.

Jersey law may well be different, but the very basic maxims of contracts in the UK are:-

Offer (can be verbal, in writing, tattoo'd on your left buttock, you name it)
                Acceptance (as above, can also be have turned up and been allowed to work by the purchasers authorised rep)
                Consideration (payment)

If you're after expensive legal advice for no fee, then you will get advice to that value

I don't know (or care that much if I'm honest) if the single signature would make the contract you're concerned about enforceable, it would need a lot of specific detail to judge and that would also mean there's a FOGB fee to pay

Appreciate that this is not a free legal advise forum and that one should seek professional help - but any input/experience is better than none, which is free

Comment

Have you paid for little diddums to go to nursery and now you've changed your mind and want your money back?

...There's an asterisk beside the word "Parent" and brackets around the S. The last line says "Both parents to sign", but what if there is only one parent? Or what if the child is fostered? The old way was to say "Parent or Guardian". One signature should be enough.

Initially when I read this I thought you meant that one side had signed a B2B contract, but the other had not, when what you're really saying is that part of a document might require 2 signatures from the customer, is it valid with only one.
                  Last edited by WTFH; 20 October 2015, 15:35.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Appreciate that this is not a free legal advise forum and that one should seek professional help - but any input/experience is better than none, which is free
                    You've had it, for what it's worth. Now if you need it translating the fee structure kicks in (and I do mean kicks if the invoice payment terms aren't met).

If you can't work it out from what people have posted then maybe you shouldn't be given sharp objects like wax crayons.

Comment

Working...
                    X