• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clients requesting evidence of rate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clients requesting evidence of rate

Hello,

I thought I best to ask this question here as it is more about legal understanding than anything else. If it has been asked before, please do direct me to the post.

Is it usual for clients to request or demand evidence of your current contractor rate? Even if it is the case (I guess clients may ask what your rate is anyhow), does one have to provide this considering any documentation is likely confidential and certainly something one may not wish to make public?

Many thanks.

I have never been asked for this information, nor would I ever give it, any contractual details are confidential between my LtdCo and the other party, the Agent.
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Ask them why they need it. It might be because they think that they are getting shafted by the agency.

If you want to put the cat amongst the pigeons, tell the agent that the client asked for your rate.

Then sit back and enjoy the fireworks...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I have never been asked for this information, nor would I ever give it, any contractual details are confidential between my LtdCo and the other party, the Agent.
        On further consideration, this smells like the agency is hosing the client on the rate they are paying, and the rate you are getting, has the request came from the pimp or the hiring manager?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Ask them why they need it. It might be because they think that they are getting shafted by the agency.

If you want to put the cat amongst the pigeons, tell the agent that the client asked for your rate.

Then sit back and enjoy the fireworks...
          Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
          On further consideration, this smells like the agency is hosing the client on the rate they are paying, and the rate you are getting, has the request came from the pimp or the hiring manager?
          Great minds

Comment

Someone asked this awhile ago I seem to think and we had a long discussion on it. I seem to think the consensus was to politely decline as you are not privy to the client->agent rate so why should they have the agent-->contractor rate. I'm a bit fuzzy on the thread but someone mentioned it might be worth doing so the client can check the agent isn't ripping off the contractors. That would mean the client is paying say £500 and the agent is paying £300. The client is getting cheaper guy for his money. It can't be a bad thing that the client checks this and rips the agent a new one.

I would certainly, at the very least, ask the client why. If it's to check on the agent it can't be too bad a thing could it?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Someone asked this awhile ago I seem to think and we had a long discussion on it. I seem to think the consensus was to politely decline as you are not privy to the client->agent rate so why should they have the agent-->contractor rate. I'm a bit fuzzy on the thread but someone mentioned it might be worth doing so the client can check the agent isn't ripping off the contractors. That would mean the client is paying say £500 and the agent is paying £300. The client is getting cheaper guy for his money. It can't be a bad thing that the client checks this and rips the agent a new one.

I would certainly, at the very least, ask the client why. If it's to check on the agent it can't be too bad a thing could it?
              Don't forget to check your contract to see if you are allowed (or barred) from discussing such details with the client, last thing you want to do is piss the agency off as they sure as hell won't take it out on the client

Comment

As SimonMac points out, such details are commercially confidential between YourCo and AgentCo, and there's probably something buried deep in your contract forbidding providing that information to the client.

Of course, an accidental slip in a casual conversation of which no formal record is kept is just one of those unfortunate things that can happen…

Comment

Thanks for the replies, everyone! It helps to know I wasn't alone in my thinking.

In this case, there isn't an agent so it is actually the client asking straight. This is baffling but I don't see why I should furnish any documentation at all.

Comment

Originally posted by sravs View Post
                    Thanks for the replies, everyone! It helps to know I wasn't alone in my thinking.

In this case, there isn't an agent so it is actually the client asking straight. This is baffling but I don't see why I should furnish any documentation at all.
                    Eh?? So client is asking what they pay you? This doesn't make sense.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X