• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expenses in self assessment but not in company.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expenses in self assessment but not in company.

I am aware of the usual procedures of deducting legit personal expenses in company accounts, then putting same in self assessment in expenses claimed and expenses incurred so they cancel out, but this is a bit different.

My sister's crappy little company is more of a hobby, makes no profit and probably never will. However, all the stock she has takes up a whole room in her house and then some. Can she reduce her SA tax by claiming for proportion of heat and light even though the company will probably never repay her?

Cheers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Her stock needs to stay warm and see what it's doing??
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Nope
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The tests for unreimbursed working from home expenses are more restrictive than the exemptions for payments made by an employer.

Other expenses: home: working from home

She could probably claim the £4/week relief without any hassle.
        Last edited by TheCyclingProgrammer; 10 September 2015, 17:35.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          My sister's crappy little company is more of a hobby, makes no profit and probably never will.
          at least she's got the optimistic backing of her sibling(s)

Comment

Working...
          X