• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Freelancing on Upwork, IR35 question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freelancing on Upwork, IR35 question

Hello,

I have recently started to do freelancing on Upwork, a website where I can bid for work and be awarded 'contracts', I have been lucky thus far to secure one contract that should provide me with sufficient income to cover my expenses and provide a nice yearly boost to my main income.

I'm doing this work as a side line, I'm currently in full time employment and do any work for this contract on evenings and weekends in an effort to boost my income, the contract does not guarantee me a fixed number of hours or income, for example, last week I did no work at all and therefore had no income, but in the month prior to that, I did a fair bit of work and earned several hundred pounds.

I will still be paying 20% income tax on the profits as I currently earn more than the personal allowance, I'm also currently paying national insurance through my full time employer.

The problem I have, is that all my self-employed income for the foreseeable future will be coming from this one contract via Upwork, would this require me to look at doing IR35?

Originally posted by andrewdc View Post
    Hello,

I have recently started to do freelancing on Upwork, a website where I can bid for work and be awarded 'contracts', I have been lucky thus far to secure one contract that should provide me with sufficient income to cover my expenses and provide a nice yearly boost to my main income.

I'm doing this work as a side line, I'm currently in full time employment and do any work for this contract on evenings and weekends in an effort to boost my income, the contract does not guarantee me a fixed number of hours or income, for example, last week I did no work at all and therefore had no income, but in the month prior to that, I did a fair bit of work and earned several hundred pounds.

I will still be paying 20% income tax on the profits as I currently earn more than the personal allowance, I'm also currently paying national insurance through my full time employer.

The problem I have, is that all my self-employed income for the foreseeable future will be coming from this one contract via Upwork, would this require me to look at doing IR35?
    IR35 probably isn't an issue upwork is based in the States and IR35 is only applicable in the UK..

A different matter may be what does your contract say about doing working for someone who isn't your permanent employer....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Assuming you're registered as self employed and declaring the income that way and have not incorporated then IR35 is not applicable to you anyway.

Comment

Any risk is purely theoretical, I don't see any problem. You're working independently without any supervision on your own equipment just delivery bits of work that might or might not be accepted depending on the quality, which is basically how this online freelancing works. This is clearly outside IR35.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
        X