• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting to have regrets joining Clearsky Accounting!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting to have regrets joining Clearsky Accounting!

Before I get knocked down bear in mind that I am a newbie to all of this! I signed up to Clearsky Accounting after several calls persuading me that joining them would save me alot of money as I was umbrella with Parasol. It was already a daunting prospect but I believed that I would be supported in getting started as well as for the duration of my time being a limited company director. It was not a decision I made lightly, I finally decided to join them after several months.

I do feel misled in some ways and Im not having a good time so far. Firstly I had no idea that a team of people would be dealing with my queries including accounts assistants - I was under the impression that I would have my own personal accountant who would be dealing with my queries whether by phone or email. My queries go through to a team as opposed to the accountants own personal email address.

On a few occassions my emails have been ignored and it may seem like something that was small and not important but it is important for me to feel at ease and have any queries addressed. I don't know the communication between the different teams at Clearsky but I had sent an email to their client services team to ask if they had received my SA1 forms and other documentation and no one replied. This is a different email address to my accountants so there could be lack of communication between the two teams who knows. The outcome of that was that they had not received the initial documentation that I had sent for some reason so I resent next day recorded delivery and it was confirmed that they received it. To my dismay another team member informed me that they had not received it and then apologised and told me that it was due to IT glitches and they had in fact received the documents. The fact that I will be paying for the highest priced executive package at £294 per month including VAT makes me feel that I am not receiving great service at all.

Yes I realise I am paying alot more than most people but I feel comfortable paying for the full package until I get to grips with what is required and expected of me as a director. Yes I have done alot of reading of my responsibilities as a director and many of them I will put into practice once I start trading.

The worst part is that I haven't even started trading yet, I am just trying to get everything in order in time for starting work. Now, my accountant seems to be on holiday, not heard from him in 3 weeks and my queries are being passed around to everyone. I have told him the SLA time is 24 hours - is this standard across all accountants? Not happy at all.

I am seriously thinking of paying the cancellation fee and going with another accountant as I am just feeling very nervous dealing with accountants where I am having issues before I have even started trading!

What are your thoughts?

The above should not be standard, especially based on the fees that you are paying.

A lot of companies provide a dedicated accountant for you to deal with, for whom you should get a direct email and a phone number you can reach them on (this could be answered by others and transfered).

We all have holidays but there should be cover for that too so that the service continues during this time as normal.

Comment

As soon as your trust in them has gone you have no choice but to leave IMO. Your lot aren't a one man band so they must be able to do their job but you've got on the wrong foot and it's going to be very difficult to come back from that. I believe you have to have full faith in your accountant or you won't be able to trust them or feel you can rely on their service and advice. When they are looking after my finances that I know f all about I have to have that trust.

I left SJD who were great for years for less. A few warning signs started appearing and the person I trusted left. Bit of hassle and I'm up and running with the outfit Jamie (ex SJD person) is running and am has happy as pig in't muck again. Worth an exit fee and bit of hassle without a doubt.

You could give them the benefit of the doubt and speak to them to resolve it but they'd have to come up with something good to convince me so early on.

Your call.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have to admit that I am scared tulipless that I haven't even started trading yet. I really wanted it to be a stress free process but since dealing with them I've been so frustrated. May need to terminate and pay the exit fee after all, hassle but better than more bad experiences and more stress.

Comment

Originally posted by Debz View Post
          Before I get knocked down bear in mind that I am a newbie to all of this! I signed up to Clearsky Accounting after several calls persuading me that joining them would save me alot of money as I was umbrella with Parasol. It was already a daunting prospect but I believed that I would be supported in getting started as well as for the duration of my time being a limited company director. It was not a decision I made lightly, I finally decided to join them after several months.

I do feel misled in some ways and Im not having a good time so far. Firstly I had no idea that a team of people would be dealing with my queries including accounts assistants - I was under the impression that I would have my own personal accountant who would be dealing with my queries whether by phone or email. My queries go through to a team as opposed to the accountants own personal email address.

On a few occassions my emails have been ignored and it may seem like something that was small and not important but it is important for me to feel at ease and have any queries addressed. I don't know the communication between the different teams at Clearsky but I had sent an email to their client services team to ask if they had received my SA1 forms and other documentation and no one replied. This is a different email address to my accountants so there could be lack of communication between the two teams who knows. The outcome of that was that they had not received the initial documentation that I had sent for some reason so I resent next day recorded delivery and it was confirmed that they received it. To my dismay another team member informed me that they had not received it and then apologised and told me that it was due to IT glitches and they had in fact received the documents. The fact that I will be paying for the highest priced executive package at £294 per month including VAT makes me feel that I am not receiving great service at all.

Yes I realise I am paying alot more than most people but I feel comfortable paying for the full package until I get to grips with what is required and expected of me as a director. Yes I have done alot of reading of my responsibilities as a director and many of them I will put into practice once I start trading.

The worst part is that I haven't even started trading yet, I am just trying to get everything in order in time for starting work. Now, my accountant seems to be on holiday, not heard from him in 3 weeks and my queries are being passed around to everyone. I have told him the SLA time is 24 hours - is this standard across all accountants? Not happy at all.

I am seriously thinking of paying the cancellation fee and going with another accountant as I am just feeling very nervous dealing with accountants where I am having issues before I have even started trading!

What are your thoughts?

As Kenny has already said, you could be paying a lot less (i.e. circa £120 including vat) for a much better service (i.e. getting a dedicated accountant who takes responsibility for answering your emails the same day, confirming receipt of letters, providing proactive advice on pensions, tax, etc). Once you get that better service you will feel like a whole weight has been lifted off your shoulders.

Comment

Shop around!

There are a number of contractor accountants out there with similar services. I would make sure that you check what you are getting as part of the service, plus any exclusions as well. Then you will know what expect and, if you want to request to speak to your personal accountant so you feel comfortable with them.

But you should make sure as a newbie, that you have both the right software at your fingertips and a personal accountant to guide you through any questions you have.

Comment

For £290 a month shouldnt my emails be answered same day?

Comment

The fact that I will be paying for the highest priced executive package at £294 per month including VAT

What are your thoughts?
                You are paying what!! [emoji85]

Caution to brolly users, be careful of them selling their accountancy services, at least phone around and speak to some others. Brollies are different set ups and often cannot cope with individual service.
                "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

For £290 a month shouldnt my emails be answered same day?
                  Yes, I would expect a same day response. Or if you had emailed overnight then a response the next day.

Plus, I'd expect some chocolates too for that monthly fee price

Comment

and what do you think of queries being answered by accounts assistants? I sent a query with regards to expenses clarification and it was answered by an accounts assistant. Don't think I'm too happy with that. I do expect my advice to be coming from an accountant.

Comment

Working...
                    X