• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bench Time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been going a couple of years and done back to back gigs and even some dual running so probably not going to give you the info you want to be throwing at them.

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
      I've been going a couple of years and done back to back gigs and even some dual running so probably not going to give you the info you want to be throwing at them.
      That's the funny thing about this though. If you are bloody good at what you do your defence completely evaporates.. If that makes sense.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Danglekt View Post
        Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        That's the funny thing about this though. If you are bloody good at what you do your defence completely evaporates.. If that makes sense.
        Is the multiple client thing something else we want to highlight. Not everyone manages it but a fair few of us do.

You can still count gaps between gigs even if you had a second client running at the time
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
          Is the multiple client thing something else we want to highlight. Not everyone manages it but a fair few of us do.

You can still count gaps between gigs even if you had a second client running at the time
          Yeah but I meant networking, keeping contacts, delivering well, keeping abreast of new techs so and so forth. You could argue a successful contracting career can be measured against lack of enforced bench time , not being walked and other things that we are highlighting as defense. Maybe I'm wrong about this.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

i have a mate that plays for a championship football team and he gets 5 grand a week sitting on the bench... /offtopic

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
              Yes there is always that risk unfortunately but HMRC have asked for facts and figures so that's what we're giving them - I think their perception is that either contractors don't really care about the proposals that they're making or that they'll have a negligible impact (there were only 3 responses from contractors to the last consultation!). I don't think that either perception is correct and I am doing what I can to prove it
              Sorry, didn't mean to be negative on your much appreciated efforts.

Not sure if it should be included here, but it's part & parcel of contracting & the wider picture.

What about highlighting situations where we are currently in contract, but that contract is coming to an end imminently; we get calls from agents to ask if we're interested/available, then we potentially lose out because we're not actually available when the potential client wants (as it always asap & the client won't wait), and then we end up on the bench purely for reasons of bad timing. We are then waiting for the next 'bus' to arrive, which in some cases could be weeks, or months, as indicated by the responses here?
              Clarity is everything

Comment

So...
                Contracting since 2005, no bench time.
                Contracts are of between 3 months and 1 year. Most being 3 to 6 months in length.
                "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                "See?"

Comment

The last 5 months hasn't been waiting for a 'phone call to offer me a contract. When the last one finished, I had a new 12 month gig lined up, which got cancelled. I've had 5 further interviews, with 3 offers that all got binned for one reason or another, one interviewer never even bothered to call. The latest one is due to start in a couple of weeks, but I'll believe when I see it & payments starts.

Comment

Contracting for 9 years.

Contract lengths between 6 months and 3 years, mostly under 18 months

Bench time between 10 mins (once) and 5 months (twice), usually 2 or 3 months

Bench time is character building, it's when you find out what you're made of
                    Kneel before Bod

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X