• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ILR Fees as Tax Deductible

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ILR Fees as Tax Deductible

Hi,
    Can anybody confirm is following fees are allowed as tax deductible expense (within limited company) as per HMRC:
    1. ILR fees (indefinite leave to remain) or
    2. Tier 1 visa -extension fees

The reasoning is that you need either the ILR or visa to continue employment; without which the business cannot operate legally in UK.

Please advise.

Nish

Originally posted by pangs View Post
    Hi,
    Can anybody confirm is following fees are allowed as tax deductible expense (within limited company) as per HMRC:

The reasoning is that you need either the ILR or visa to continue employment; without which the business cannot operate legally in UK.

Please advise.

Nish
    No - are you being a Clown, or actually serious?
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Hi,

Please advise.

Nish
      You gain a personal benefit once those fees are paid so you have to pay them personally..
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hi,

Please advise.

Nish
        The business exists independently of you. You and the business are not the same thing.

So without ILR you can not work, but the business can operate. It just can't operate by employing you.

Comment

Hi,

Please advise.

Nish
          No. You need those to legally remain in the country regardless of your employment status, and would have to pay it whether you were employed or not.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Think 'wholly and exclusively for the purpose of the business's of which these don't even come close. Poor effort.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Hi,

Please advise.

Nish
              A business doesn't need a visa or ILR.

Dumbest question of the week so far this one, take a bow.........

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                A business doesn't need a visa or ILR.

Dumbest question of the week so far this one, take a bow.........
                Possibly, now I only know this from a Perm position as it was a long time ago I got mine. But the large bank I was working for who had tax experts said that the time limited visas (eg not the ILR) could be paid for and the bank paid for them with no BIK payable. However the long term ILR visa was a no go as it was more of a personal asset. How HMRC would apply this to a single contractor business is probably totally different to what a large international bank can get away with though.

Comment

Originally posted by Underbase View Post
                  Possibly, now I only know this from a Perm position as it was a long time ago I got mine. But the large bank I was working for who had tax experts said that the time limited visas (eg not the ILR) could be paid for and the bank paid for them with no BIK payable. However the long term ILR visa was a no go as it was more of a personal asset. How HMRC would apply this to a single contractor business is probably totally different to what a large international bank can get away with though.
                  Would be different anyway now I think, since time limited LTR visas now attract the NHS surcharge, a definite BIK there!

Comment

Hi,

Please advise.

Nish
                    I'm assuming you wear underpants to work; do you claim this as an expense as well?

Comment

Working...
                    X