• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The survey on the HMRC Consultation regarding Travel Expenses is up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just hit 200 responses.

Thank you to everyone who has responded so far and if you haven't please do - every response really will matter...
    Last edited by eek; 12 August 2015, 16:21.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Thank you, Eek!

Comment

Update regarding the ipse survey here from MS.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          Update regarding the ipse survey here from MS.
          Which is a shame is that means that 2,500 potential letters will now not be sent and 1 consolidated response will be ignored in its place.

2,500 responses would have got a far better reaction....

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Which is a shame is that means that 2,500 potential letters will now not be sent and 1 consolidated response will be ignored in its place.

I fear the majority would have been blissfully ignorant, so would not have even known to send a letter!

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Whats the connection between filling in various surveys and responding in person?

I filled in yours, I filled in AUACE's and I filled in ipse's. That doesn't stop me from taking further action does it? If it does then kudos on saving someone having to deliver 200 letters yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by aaccandy View Post
                As the HMRC is legally obliged to tax us all equally then if it wishes to implement these rules they must equally be applied to all civil servants not working at their base offices and to all management consultants again not working at the base offices.
                Oddly in some countries they do that.

Regardless of who you are working for if your expenses are paid for by your employer you have a flat tax applied to them.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                  Whats the connection between filling in various surveys and responding in person?

I filled in yours, I filled in AUACE's and I filled in ipse's. That doesn't stop me from taking further action does it? If it does then kudos on saving someone having to deliver 200 letters yourself.
                  not at all. The problem is that I think many people will leave they response as writing to IPSE and not do anything else and I feel an actual response would be worthwhile.

On the other hand seeing how badly written some of the responses by contractors have been to other surveys its probably best that they aren't replying directly and IPSE can apply a sanity check...

Comment

Sorry but I heard this all before from NTRT. They finally gave up on petitioning government when they realized they only get a HMRC response. I think it took about 4 years. Now their only hope is TAA(The agency argument, commonly known as George).

We are now all tax evading scum.

The only way is to change your business model to survive. Preferably by going abroad.

Fathers 4 justice achieved a lot more. Huge leaps were made. Though nothing since they went quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Sorry but I heard this all before from NTRT. They finally gave up on petitioning government when they realized they only get a HMRC response. I think it took about 4 years. Now their only hope is TAA(The agency argument, commonly known as George).

We are now all tax evading scum.

The only way is to change your business model to survive. Preferably by going abroad.

Fathers 4 justice achieved a lot more. Huge leaps were made. Though nothing since they went quiet.
                      I'm afraid I have to agree. Writing to MPs and so on will result in a lot of false hope, because when push comes to shove they will fall into line even when they make all the right noises. There's a few brave and decent enough to stand up and speak out, but the process of trying to get your voice heard is a very long and complex one, and very likely doomed. I know I was completely bewildered by the complexity of trying to do anything against S58 so many levels and in the end they all vote along party lines anyway. Take Guake, for example. We had over 850 letters protesting the APN changes, I think 450 were from professional bodies. Or as he put it during the debate, more than 20. No-one, even those that knew the truth, said a thing.

The Government controls every method of spin going, they will label you, blame you, shame you and ignore you, they'll even say how it's only fair that you pay as everyone else does, despite MPs having full expenses, travel and second homes paid for by the taxpayer.

Contractors need to unite to fight this sort of legislation but don't make the mistake we did over in S58 thinking that there's fairness in the system and justice will triumph after a good clean fight, because it just won't.

Comment

Working...
                      X