• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All sorts of trouble .... (Tax & VAT)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All sorts of trouble .... (Tax & VAT)

Hi All

My 1st post, and sadly its not a good one

I recently found a letter that my wife had been hiding from me from HMRC ... long and short if it is my SA's haven't been done for 09-10 and 10-11 (as far as I can tell so far). This basically means I owe them £25k.

I dug a little deeper and it also looks like i haven't paid any VAT since 2012 and I owe the VAT man £54k.

As you probably can tell, I left all this stuff for others to deal with and just got on with the job, and it seems this stuff just got too much for the wife and she's just stuck her head in the sand and ignored it all. Corporation Tax however has been paid in full and on time it seems.

As far as I can tell (and sadly all trust is gone) I don't seem to have had any letters from anyone about the outstanding VAT yet ? Would they not have noticed this and be on my case ?

My company currently doesn't have the money in it to pay that VAT bill ... I have my life savings that I guess I am going to have to use to the pay the 25k income tax bill, but where do I stand here with the VAT. Is there anyone that I can go talk to to try to figure a way out of this hole ?

I'm in a contract till xmas, but on a 2 week notice period. My company has no assets and just the two shareholders, me and the wife.

Thanks in advance.

Lisa and Craig - I think that we are going to need your help with this one.

My only piece of advice is that when you get this sorted out, use an umbrella who will employ you. I don't think that you're really up for being in a business on your own account.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      My only piece of advice is that when you get this sorted out, use an umbrella who will employ you. I don't think that you're really up for being in a business on your own account.
      In fairness the company has been going for years trouble free .... with me letting the missus get in with doing the books with the help of my accountant (JSA). But yeh, that relationship (accountant and sadly probably wife) seems to be about to go out of the window

Comment

Originally posted by helpplease View Post
        In fairness the company has been going for years trouble free .... with me letting the missus get in with doing the books with the help of my accountant (JSA). But yeh, that relationship (accountant and sadly probably wife) seems to be about to go out of the window
        This isn't the place for marital advice, but yes to dumping the accountant, no to dumping the wife (at least until you've calmed down).

Find out why your wife stopped coping first. If you subsequently discover she's just spent the tax money on whisky, drugs and hookers, then you can open the window...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Jeez I pay my accountant 100 notes a month just so I don't have to divorce my wife!

Comment

I pay £135.00 per month and they've sat back and watched this mess happen !

In their defense I have seen an email from back in 2011 asking questions for the P11d that never go answered .... but they never following it up either

Comment

Jeez, are JSA still going? That is a surprise.

You're going to need another accountant sharpish, and probably not just one of the £100 p/m bookkeeping accountants.

You are in the mire but the VAT man tends to be reasonable if you're straight with him (at least this was always the case before they became HMRC). If you try and hide something, or they think you're trying to fleece them, then you're in trouble. You can hope, and that's the best you can do, that when you come clean they will treat you fairly.

This may take years to resolve, and you can be sure that you will end up paying all that you owe.

I'm not sure whether you should get the accountant first, or get in touch with HMRC as soon as you possibly can. Probably a good idea to get some proper legal advice.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                I'm not sure whether you should get the accountant first, or get in touch with HMRC as soon as you possibly can. Probably a good idea to get some proper legal advice.

Good luck.
                Get in touch with a good accountant FIRST. You want them to handle ALL communications with HMRC for you.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by helpplease View Post
                  Hi All

My 1st post, and sadly its not a good one

I recently found a letter that my wife had been hiding from me from HMRC ... long and short if it is my SA's haven't been done for 09-10 and 10-11 (as far as I can tell so far). This basically means I owe them £25k.

I dug a little deeper and it also looks like i haven't paid any VAT since 2012 and I owe the VAT man £54k.

As you probably can tell, I left all this stuff for others to deal with and just got on with the job, and it seems this stuff just got too much for the wife and she's just stuck her head in the sand and ignored it all. Corporation Tax however has been paid in full and on time it seems.

As far as I can tell (and sadly all trust is gone) I don't seem to have had any letters from anyone about the outstanding VAT yet ? Would they not have noticed this and be on my case ?

My company currently doesn't have the money in it to pay that VAT bill ... I have my life savings that I guess I am going to have to use to the pay the 25k income tax bill, but where do I stand here with the VAT. Is there anyone that I can go talk to to try to figure a way out of this hole ?

I'm in a contract till xmas, but on a 2 week notice period. My company has no assets and just the two shareholders, me and the wife.

Thanks in advance.
                  Sorry to hear about your troubles. What everyone else said, you need a good accountant now. The personal liability may well be not as high as 25k though. In the absence of any figures on returns, HMRC are likely to have put the highest figure on that they can. Once you get the numbers right and submit them, the final bill may be lower.

Whatever you do, don't put your head in the sand. it won't go away and needs fixing asap. As someone else said, if you are up front with them, HMRC will help you as far as they can.

Comment

Ok, so when we say a good accountant, should I go find a one man band jobbie or are there some big guns out there where you can actually talk to an accountant opposed to administrators ?

Comment

Working...
                    X