• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All sorts of trouble .... (Tax & VAT)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for trying, I don't think it's been misappropriated.

I think JSA switched me to freeagent back in 2012, so i have that far back.

Who are the resident experts then ? Lisa and Craig or ?

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      This isn't the place for marital advice, but yes to dumping the accountant, no to dumping the wife (at least until you've calmed down).

Find out why your wife stopped coping first. If you subsequently discover she's just spent the tax money on whisky, drugs and hookers, then you can open the window...
      I am not sure which is worse - HMRC or the divorce courts....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        I am not sure which is worse - HMRC or the divorce courts....
        Both at the same time ?

Comment

Originally posted by helpplease View Post
          Thanks for trying, I don't think it's been misappropriated.

I think JSA switched me to freeagent back in 2012, so i have that far back.

Who are the resident experts then ? Lisa and Craig or ?
          Give the resident experts time to wake up and get coffee

Freeagent or not, every company has to prepare financial accounts and provide them to HMRC and Companies House annually. Had you/your accountant/your wife not actioned this, your company would have been struck off, by my guess about 12 months ago.

I can appreciate the other half may have been hiding them and you have been ignoring them. If you haven't signed them, she must have and she must have a copy as well as access to your Freeagent account. Since this all came to light, have you even looked for this stuff or asked her for it? This would have to be your starting point in unravelling it all and making a good case to HMRC but especially when you come to question their calculations. And it is all stuff any accountant will ask for when you engage one.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
            Since this all came to light, have you even looked for this stuff or asked her for it? This would have to be your starting point in unravelling it all and making a good case to HMRC but especially when you come to question their calculations. And it is all stuff any accountant will ask for when you engage one.
            I've asked for the stuff free agent that I can see.

However, looking at the numbers on freeagent for the VAT oweable ... I don't really see a challenge, its just straight up not been paid

Comment

I've asked for the stuff free agent that I can see.

However, looking at the numbers on freeagent for the VAT oweable ... I don't really see a challenge, its just straight up not been paid
              You seem to be persistently ignoring all the most important stuff - What about the published accounts? Have they been published, is it all up to date? Has the missus showed you where she has been hiding her stash of important communications? Have you gone through it all yet? I am surprised that you are not worried about the CT, even the calculations etc.

As I said, this is all stuff you need to be prepared to answer when you get a new accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                You seem to be persistently ignoring all the most important stuff - What about the published accounts? Have they been published, is it all up to date? Has the missus showed you where she has been hiding her stash of important communications? Have you gone through it all yet? I am surprised that you are not worried about the CT, even the calculations etc.

As I said, this is all stuff you need to be prepared to answer when you get a new accountant.
                I found out about this at 8.30pm last night .... I'm going from been sick over it all to coming back to the keyboard to reply here.

Accounts have been published, she signed them, the accountant flagged the issues, she just ignored them, shes told me that.

CT i think is the one thing that seems to be in order, though I'm now going to go an ask about that, I really don't want to know the answer

Comment

I found out about this at 8.30pm last night .... I'm going from been sick over it all to coming back to the keyboard to reply here.

Accounts have been published, she signed them, the accountant flagged the issues, she just ignored them, shes told me that.

CT i think is the one thing that seems to be in order, though I'm now going to go an ask about that, I really don't want to know the answer
                  Yeah I do understand that, didn't know it was that raw though, sorry once again and for the avoidance of doubt no one really wants you to actually answer those questions chapter and verse, just pointing out things that will be asked once you get on your way to sorting it out.

It seems that perhaps your accountant is not necessarily at fault then. Perhaps you should talk to them first before complicating matters by making someone new understand all that has gone on before.

I hope you get it sorted.

Comment

The most important bit of advice right now?

Breathe. Just breathe.

I'll do some polite cage rattling - someone will be along in a minute. In the meantime just gather ALL the docs without too much analysis (that will come tomorrow), put it in chronological order and separate docs under HMRC/Bank & CC statements/Invoices/Expenses.

I know that this is obvious, but not if you're in shock...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      The most important bit of advice right now?

Breathe. Just breathe.

I'll do some polite cage rattling - someone will be along in a minute. In the meantime just gather ALL the docs without too much analysis (that will come tomorrow), put it in chronological order and separate docs under HMRC/Bank & CC statements/Invoices/Expenses.

I know that this is obvious, but not if you're in shock...
                      WCS. You have plenty of time to absorb all this and work out the best way forward. I am sure its not insurmountable. And as I said earlier, a lot of the penalties and fines can often be negotiated away once they realise this was not intentional.

Comment

Working...
                      X