• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All sorts of trouble .... (Tax & VAT)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Whatever you do, don't put your head in the sand. it won't go away and needs fixing asap. As someone else said, if you are up front with them, HMRC will help you as far as they can.
    Thanks - I already spoke to HMRC about the personal liability .... i would say perhaps 50% of the 25k (if not more) is all in late payment fines etc

I've told them I dont have the funds easily to hand to pay that back and they've said we need to negotiate a payment plan then.

Of course ... that was all before i found out about the other 54k

Comment

Originally posted by helpplease View Post
      Ok, so when we say a good accountant, should I go find a one man band jobbie or are there some big guns out there where you can actually talk to an accountant opposed to administrators ?
      If you live in the Slough/Reading/Basingstoke triangle, send me a PM. I have a good, tame accountant who may be able to help.

Comment

If you live in the Slough/Reading/Basingstoke triangle, send me a PM. I have a good, tame accountant who may be able to help.
        I'll get Admin to sort his PM rights out.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks, another slight complication is I work from home, and home for me (though I do all my correspondence from a UK address) is overseas in mainland EU

That said ... I can be back in the UK in no time for a meeting.

Comment

Thanks, another slight complication is I work from home, and home for me (though I do all my correspondence from a UK address) is overseas in mainland EU

Then you might as well speak to tractor - you just cant beat a personal recommendation in these sort of circumstances..
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

That may complicate matters, I am not sure he would be able to deal with any international complications. I shall give him a call this morning and ask.

Out of interest, who signs your company accounts off each year and your CT return? You, your spouse or both of you?

Why did you not notice a 54k credit in your balance sheet VAT account? Is the money still there?
              Last edited by tractor; 30 June 2015, 08:01.

Comment

That may complicate matters, I am not sure he would be able to deal with any international complications. I shall give him a call this morning and ask.

Out of interest, who signs your company accounts off each year and your CT return? You, your spouse or both of you?

Why did you not notice a 54k credit in your balance sheet VAT account? Is the money still there?
                I've not signed anything for years, nor looked at the books, like I say, I just kept working away blissfully ignorant ...

There is money in the business, but not 54k !

I think the only international complication is that I'm not able to do face to face at short notice.

Comment

I've not signed anything for years, nor looked at the books, like I say, I just kept working away blissfully ignorant ...

I think the only international complication is that I'm not able to do face to face at short notice.
                  I think that tractor meant tax implications. Do you work for UK clients? I guess you do if you're having problems with HMRC rather than the German or Belgian tax authorities.

Comment

Ahh yes, only UK clients.

Comment

I managed to get hold of my guy and whilst he would be happy to help, he has so much on that he would have to hand you off to one of his associates, which would leave you in the same boat as with one of the big faceless ones. I suggest that you contact one of our resident experts as Cojak suggested earlier.

Given you now know that all is not ship shape, have you managed to lay your hands on the last 5 years accounts? They should paint a good picture and tell you where the money has gone. It's one thing for you to have spent it all obliviously, another if it's been misappropriated without your knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                      X