• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Rent a Car" vs "Car hire" : Are they the same?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Rent a Car" vs "Car hire" : Are they the same?

folks,
    My personal car needs to go to garage for a week. During this short time, I'm planning to use "Rent a Car" from Enterprise . I have seen multiple threads about "Car Hire", but not sure if "Rent a car" is same as "Car Hire" ?

Just checking, if I can pay "Rent a car" from company account & claim as expense, as it used to commute to my place of work for a week until the car is repaired. (Im not really worried about the mileage expense, but actually about the rent-a-car costs)

Cheers

Originally posted by sojan View Post
    folks,
    My personal car needs to go to garage for a week. During this short time, I'm planning to use "Rent a Car" from Enterprise . I have seen multiple threads about "Car Hire", but not sure if "Rent a car" is same as "Car Hire" ?

Just checking, if I can pay "Rent a car" from company account & claim as expense, as it used to commute to my place of work for a week until the car is repaired. (Im not really worried about the mileage expense, but actually about the rent-a-car costs)

Cheers
    Rent a car is a British term. Car Hire is an American term. They both mean the same thing.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Rent a car is a British term. Car Hire is an American term. They both mean the same thing.
      oh.ok. Thanks mate

Comment

Originally posted by sojan View Post
        oh.ok. Thanks mate
        Oh dear lol........
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but AFAIK if YourCo pays for a rented car it will incur BIK, making it pointless. The better option is to hire privately and claim mileage.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
            Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but AFAIK if YourCo pays for a rented car it will incur BIK, making it pointless. The better option is to hire privately and claim mileage.
            Not sure if its BIK but I guess it could well be. IMHO always better to just pay yourself and claim mileage anyway.
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Yep, but the other way around...

Comment

BIK on a car rental, as with anything else, is about private use; there's no BIK for legitimate business use.

Comment

If there is any personal use then a BIK will arise; if is has been used exclusively for business purposes then there will be no BIK.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    Yep, but the other way around...
                    +1

Comment

Working...
                    X