• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on ""Rent a Car" vs "Car hire" : Are they the same?"

Collapse

• GlenW
    replied
    Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
    Hey I did exactly this when my car was off the road for a week. As it was used solely for the drive to client site and back the accountant was happy for me to claim the rental cost and petrol directly as an expense.
    Your accountant being happy means bog all, it's HMRC's opinion that counts.

Leave a comment:

• BlueSharp
    replied
    Originally posted by sojan View Post
    folks,
    My personal car needs to go to garage for a week. During this short time, I'm planning to use "Rent a Car" from Enterprise . I have seen multiple threads about "Car Hire", but not sure if "Rent a car" is same as "Car Hire" ?

Just checking, if I can pay "Rent a car" from company account & claim as expense, as it used to commute to my place of work for a week until the car is repaired. (Im not really worried about the mileage expense, but actually about the rent-a-car costs)

Cheers
    Hey I did exactly this when my car was off the road for a week. As it was used solely for the drive to client site and back the accountant was happy for me to claim the rental cost and petrol directly as an expense.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Yep, but the other way around...
    Right you are.

Leave a comment:

• Project Monkey
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    +1

Leave a comment:

• Craig at Nixon Williams
    replied
    Originally posted by sal View Post
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but AFAIK if YourCo pays for a rented car it will incur BIK, making it pointless. The better option is to hire privately and claim mileage.
    If there is any personal use then a BIK will arise; if is has been used exclusively for business purposes then there will be no BIK.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but AFAIK if YourCo pays for a rented car it will incur BIK, making it pointless. The better option is to hire privately and claim mileage.
    BIK on a car rental, as with anything else, is about private use; there's no BIK for legitimate business use.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Rent a car is a British term. Car Hire is an American term. They both mean the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Not sure if its BIK but I guess it could well be. IMHO always better to just pay yourself and claim mileage anyway.

Leave a comment:

• sal
    replied

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    oh.ok. Thanks mate
    Oh dear lol........

Leave a comment:

• sojan
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Rent a car is a British term. Car Hire is an American term. They both mean the same thing.
    oh.ok. Thanks mate

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    folks,
    My personal car needs to go to garage for a week. During this short time, I'm planning to use "Rent a Car" from Enterprise . I have seen multiple threads about "Car Hire", but not sure if "Rent a car" is same as "Car Hire" ?

Just checking, if I can pay "Rent a car" from company account & claim as expense, as it used to commute to my place of work for a week until the car is repaired. (Im not really worried about the mileage expense, but actually about the rent-a-car costs)

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• sojan
    started a topic "Rent a Car" vs "Car hire" : Are they the same?

"Rent a Car" vs "Car hire" : Are they the same?

folks,

Cheers

Working...
X