• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Benefit to claiming expenses?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Got to be a sockie windup.
    I thought this as well at first but it is conceivable someone could fail this badly but...

I started contracting and using a limited company 3 years ago. I didn't do enough research then and been naive since. Better late than never I guess lol
    3 years and don't know about expenses.. Not a chance. He'd have picked this up talking to other contractors etc. I've spent hours and hours discussing expenses and contractor related stuff. To not pick this up is well... sockietastic.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by robz8701 View Post
      Appreciate the feedback even if some of it is patronising 😷

I started contracting and using a limited company 3 years ago. I didn't do enough research then and been naive since. Better late than never I guess lol
      The whole point of contracting through a Ltd is to maximise take home via expenses and dividends.

I do question why your accountant did not point out to you in year 2 that you hadn't extracted the expense money your company owed you.

Yes, it may have accrued in your directors loan account, but I consider it incredibly lax of them to not have pointed that out.

Comment

This whole thread is a wind up...right
        Blood in your poo

Comment

You lot are sockie-paranoid. What is the obsession on this forum?
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Company Expense vs Personal via SATR

You do not appear to be factoring in the VAT element in this comparison.

Comment

I was said to be a sockie here once, quiet a few times when I had beginner questions.

But yes, make sure you get how expenses work. You can save a lot of money in tax by expensing stuff. I'm trying to expense everything I can, although it's hard to find proper expenses. But it's beautiful... you don't first pay 45% tax and then buy a £619 iPhone, which requires 619/0.55=1124 gross salary, you pay 0% tax and in certain situations with £2000+ invoices on the flat-rate vat scheme even get the VAT back, so you pay half compared to all other people.

A good one you can probably still use would be "use of home as office". You create the expense for £216 (maximum amount without proof) and you just pay yourself £216 from your corporate bank account.

It's really worth it to learn about this stuff as a contractor. After all, it's your money, your accountant won't really care that much if you don't expense things that you could have expensed.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                The whole point of contracting through a Ltd is to maximise take home via expenses and dividends.
                But yes, make sure you get how expenses work. You can save a lot of money in tax by expensing stuff. I'm trying to expense everything I can, although it's hard to find proper expenses.

And people wonder why HHMRC take a dim view of why we have our Limited Companies and why we will never be rid of IR35 and its bastard siblings. After 20 years in this game I remain appalled at just how ignorant some people are - or pretend to be...
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  And people wonder why HHMRC take a dim view of why we have our Limited Companies and why we will never be rid of IR35 and its bastard siblings. After 20 years in this game I remain appalled at just how ignorant some people are - or pretend to be...
                  So you're through a brolly then?

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    So you're through a brolly then?
                    No, I've been using a Limited Co for the last 20 years.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X