• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No To Retro Tax - Ongoing battle against S58 FA2008

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We now live in a far flung corner of the world, albeit one with close ties to the UK. We sought expensive legal and financial advice and have structured our finances to make it very difficult for HMRC. So, now the dilemma... do we continue as we are and face a lifetime of looking over our shoulder, or do we risk all with TAA/George. We haven't heard from HMRC for 5 years and we're and not sure if we want to draw attention to ourselves. Any thoughts? Anyone in a similar situation?

Comment

Originally posted by dvrjw View Post
      We now live in a far flung corner of the world, albeit one with close ties to the UK. We sought expensive legal and financial advice and have structured our finances to make it very difficult for HMRC. So, now the dilemma... do we continue as we are and face a lifetime of looking over our shoulder, or do we risk all with TAA/George. We haven't heard from HMRC for 5 years and we're and not sure if we want to draw attention to ourselves. Any thoughts? Anyone in a similar situation?
      I am not in your situation as I remain resident in the UK. Have you cut ties to the UK such that you would never return even for a visit? I would not want something like this hanging over me. What if we win the argument with TAA but because you don't participate HMRC come knocking many years down the line? Your avoidance strategy may work now but who knows what changes in the future will make it ineffective? What price peace of mind?

I've just applied and contributed to TAA. I hope I am not digging a deeper hole for myself but I think the risk of an outcome worse than if S58 applied is an acceptable risk against the upside. Perhaps I should have let it go, but the toll (psychological) has been too great over the past 12 years for me not to be all in on this now.
      Last edited by bananarepublic; 21 May 2015, 22:28.

Comment

Okay, Let's Go!

o Signed up.
        o Paid up (well, first of 6 payment S/O because I'm skint).
        o Signed paperwork
        o Struggling to find the closure notices having moved a few years ago (hopefully I can get copies from MP if I can't find them).

Good luck everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by Dazed and Confused View Post
          o Struggling to find the closure notices having moved a few years ago (hopefully I can get copies from MP if I can't find them).
          Ditto - Can details from APN notice be used instead?
          Last edited by the great escape; 21 May 2015, 23:34.

Comment

Same

Originally posted by the great escape View Post
            Ditto - Can details from APN notice be used instead?
            Can only find 2 closure notices. I do however have some hot off the press APN's

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              No. You are HMRC's spy and I claim my £5....

Seriously Good luck folks, and I'll see you when its all ended to your satisfaction...
              WES.

Good luck to the NTRT moderator, my life has just been made easier!
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Ready to rumble

Registered, paid, sorting thru a very large file of HMRC letters to complete the process.

Thanks again to NTRT for what will hopefully be closure to 10 years of tulipe

Mad

Comment

Originally posted by dvrjw View Post
                  Personally I would go with TAA/George. Use an accommodation address in the UK.

You are clearly concerned about it or you would not have posted. With TAA/George you can be free!

Comment

Originally posted by BarneyCool View Post
                    Can only find 2 closure notices. I do however have some hot off the press APN's
                    im struggling to find my login to the nrtr site !!!!!! and i jest not

would it be my email address or something i made up for my username?
                    and password - ditto - did i choose it or get given it

ahhh may have found it
                    Last edited by elpinar; 22 May 2015, 08:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog View Post
                      Registered, paid, sorting thru a very large file of HMRC letters to complete the process.

Thanks again to NTRT for what will hopefully be closure to 10 years of tulipe

Mad
                      I could be wrong but I'd imagine that the Closure Notices etc is to prove you are actually under investigation and not a Hector mole (e.g. 4th man in my hot tub avatar)!

NGU

Comment

Working...
                      X