• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Office Expenses - Not My House?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Office Expenses - Not My House?

I have searched the web but can't find an answer that matches my circumstances.

I live with my partner and she has a spare room that I was planning on using as a home office.

She previously let the room under the rent a room scheme and could earn up to £4250 tax free but this scheme would not apply I rented the room through my limited company.

How can I legitimatly rent the room without adding a tax liability to my partner?

Assuming you actually do some work from home, then rent the room personally (she can use the RAR scheme then) and claim £4/week in expenses from YourCo for use of home.

Comment

You want to rent yourself the spareroom at the property where you live and use the rent a room allowance? You don't have another address?

The reason your search didn't turn anything up is because I don't think there's a legitimate way to do what you want.

Comment

Go to jail directly. Do not pass "begin". Do not collect £200 on your way. Free advice, yet again.
        I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
          You want to rent yourself the spareroom at the property where you live and use the rent a room allowance? You don't have another address?

The reason your search didn't turn anything up is because I don't think there's a legitimate way to do what you want.
          Hi. I live in the house but I don't own the house. The house belongs to my partner. I know we can't use the RAR scheme but it is a hard sell to ask her to give up the rent she gets from students (circa £2k pa) in return for £216

And yes Scruff, I am after free advice :-) is that not permitted on the forum?

Comment

Originally posted by ocs View Post
            Hi. I live in the house but I don't own the house. The house belongs to my partner. I know we can't use the RAR scheme but it is a hard sell to ask her to give up the rent she gets from students (circa £2k pa) in return for £216
            Well you have your answer and a clear way forward.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I completely misunderstood what OP meant. I thought they didn't already live there. So ignore what I said, what everyone else said instead.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                ... and claim £4/week in expenses from YourCo for use of home.
                Originally posted by ocs View Post
                ... it is a hard sell to ask her to give up the rent she gets from students in return for £216
                Hmm. 54 weeks in a year?

Comment

Originally posted by JRCT View Post
                  Hmm. 54 weeks in a year?
                  I seem to remember reading that you can claim either £18/month or £4/week. I think that's where the figure comes from.

Comment

Working...
                  X