• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Home Office Expenses - Not My House?"

Collapse

• borderreiver
    replied
    Originally posted by JRCT View Post
    Hmm. 54 weeks in a year?
    I seem to remember reading that you can claim either £18/month or £4/week. I think that's where the figure comes from.

Leave a comment:

• JRCT
    replied
    Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    ... and claim £4/week in expenses from YourCo for use of home.
    Originally posted by ocs View Post
    ... it is a hard sell to ask her to give up the rent she gets from students in return for £216
    Hmm. 54 weeks in a year?

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    I completely misunderstood what OP meant. I thought they didn't already live there. So ignore what I said, what everyone else said instead.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by ocs View Post
    Hi. I live in the house but I don't own the house. The house belongs to my partner. I know we can't use the RAR scheme but it is a hard sell to ask her to give up the rent she gets from students (circa £2k pa) in return for £216
    Well you have your answer and a clear way forward.

Leave a comment:

• ocs
    replied
    Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
    You want to rent yourself the spareroom at the property where you live and use the rent a room allowance? You don't have another address?

The reason your search didn't turn anything up is because I don't think there's a legitimate way to do what you want.
    Hi. I live in the house but I don't own the house. The house belongs to my partner. I know we can't use the RAR scheme but it is a hard sell to ask her to give up the rent she gets from students (circa £2k pa) in return for £216

And yes Scruff, I am after free advice :-) is that not permitted on the forum?

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Go to jail directly. Do not pass "begin". Do not collect £200 on your way. Free advice, yet again.

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    You want to rent yourself the spareroom at the property where you live and use the rent a room allowance? You don't have another address?

The reason your search didn't turn anything up is because I don't think there's a legitimate way to do what you want.

Leave a comment:

• TheCyclingProgrammer
    replied
    Assuming you actually do some work from home, then rent the room personally (she can use the RAR scheme then) and claim £4/week in expenses from YourCo for use of home.

Leave a comment:

• ocs
    started a topic Home Office Expenses - Not My House?

Home Office Expenses - Not My House?

I have searched the web but can't find an answer that matches my circumstances.

I live with my partner and she has a spare room that I was planning on using as a home office.

She previously let the room under the rent a room scheme and could earn up to £4250 tax free but this scheme would not apply I rented the room through my limited company.

How can I legitimatly rent the room without adding a tax liability to my partner?

Working...
X