• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do quotations have to be numbered sequentially, like invoices?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do quotations have to be numbered sequentially, like invoices?

I've been asked to write a formal quotation - this will be my first and to be honest I don't really want to send it out with a big fat QUOTE 00001. Is there anything stopping me from using another numbering methods - I'm thinking [CUSTOMER ABBREVIATION]-001? Or do I have to follow similar rules to invoices?

No, the only rules are internal ones that would help you to track clients/projects/quotes. You could number sequentially across all clients, as you may do with invoicing (although the VAT rules only require sequential numbers per client, not sequential numbers across all clients). You can add a client identifier if that helps. You can start at whatever number you choose. Essentially, whatever is easiest for you.

Comment

A quotation is contractual or at the very least forms part of a contracts document set if accepted, I'm not aware of there being any statutory obligation to number them, but common sense states you should so it can be referred to easily.

Nothing stopping you adding a customer identifier to the number and starting at 1, that's the same for invoices, so long as they're unique they don't have to be sequential, it just makes them easier to manage.

Comment

Thanks both - I actually had no idea I could number invoices per customer to be honest. I don't intend to, but I always thought they simply had to be numerical and from 1 onwards.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Thanks both - I actually had no idea I could number invoices per customer to be honest. I don't intend to, but I always thought they simply had to be numerical and from 1 onwards.
          No, you can start at a larger number if you choose, providing subsequent invoices to the same client are sequential (for VAT invoices). However, for invoice tracking and accounting, it makes sense to use a single sequence across all clients. Personally, I use a single sequence together with a client ID.

Comment

Invoices only need to be serially numbered as a VAT requirement.

For once in a blue moon stuff - quotes, letters of engagement, contract agreements, etc - a date based code means no need to maintain a list. Prefix a letter(s) to cover all types with a single system. E.g. Qyymmdd. Or use week-num or day-of-year for semi-cryptic and less digits.

Comment

A simple TEST0000001 should suffice :lol:
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Invoices have to be numbered sequentially? I've never heard of that! Luckily I've always done invoices that way... <MyCoId>/<ClientCoId>/XXX e.g dhg/IMB/090. But only by luck, many subcontractors I've hired over the years have uniquely identified invoices by date so I'll receive invoices like DHG_310114 at the end of January.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Invoices have to be numbered sequentially? I've never heard of that! Luckily I've always done invoices that way... <MyCoId>/<ClientCoId>/XXX e.g dhg/IMB/090. But only by luck, many subcontractors I've hired over the years have uniquely identified invoices by date so I'll receive invoices like DHG_310114 at the end of January.
                  As mentioned above, it's actually a VAT thing rather than an invoice thing. This was what was in the back of my mind, but I'd forgetting it was a VAT thing:

[ARCHIVED CONTENT] HM Revenue & Customs: What counts as a valid VAT receipt?

Or more current, I guess:

VATREC5020 - VAT invoice: VAT invoices for intra-EC supplies

Comment

Working...
                  X