• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Azure

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnJ View Post
    Thanks, billybiro, I found your link to the Gartner report very useful.

As you noted, AWS seems to be far away the dominant and most mature vendor.

Also, the "cautions" on Microsoft Azure seem to revolve around the lack of knowledge about the offering from people like me, potential contractors and staff, and also the documentation.

I'm still a little confused as to why Azure would be a CV requirement for SQL/BI developers as opposed to Infrastructure Management people like DBA's and Network guys.

I was expecting to see special API requirements specified or some other low level coding changes etc.

I guess I need more education.
    The reason why Azure is essential for SQL/BI developers is that that is where SQL server is being moved towards. And while it does initially look expensive compared to SQL server licences the real world pricing models I've seen for most scenarios show Azure to be far cheaper than a self hosted data center...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      The reason why Azure is essential for SQL/BI developers is that that is where SQL server is being moved towards. And while it does initially look expensive compared to SQL server licences the real world pricing models I've seen for most scenarios show Azure to be far cheaper than a self hosted data center...
      Yes, but what do I have to do to use it, that is different than if my Sql Server was in my local datacenter?

I have created an Azure Sql Server, and a database, and I can access it from Sql Server Manager and create databases etc. Am I missing something? What would I have to learn to justify a mention of Azure on my CV?

Comment

Yes, but what do I have to do to use it, that is different than if my Sql Server was in my local datacenter?

I have created an Azure Sql Server, and a database, and I can access it from Sql Server Manager and create databases etc. Am I missing something? What would I have to learn to justify a mention of Azure on my CV?
        There are a few differences with Azure. Linked servers does not seem to work(though still working on that). You can't use functions across servers too. I also suspect there will be issues connecting at the start of a batch run - when in hibernate it seems slow to connect.

With Azure, you need to understand the subscription model too.

Comment

Surely to put Azure on your CV, you need to know the toolset around environment, my analogy being in a VMware environment you at least need to know vCentre etc rather than the technology you deploy eg SQL Server

Comment

Get yourself a Visual Studio Dev Essentials account, you get a $25 pm Azure Subscription so you can play with it to your hearts content.

And also SQL 2016 Developer Edn for free.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
              Surely to put Azure on your CV, you need to know the toolset around environment, my analogy being in a VMware environment you at least need to know vCentre etc rather than the technology you deploy eg SQL Server
              Not for most agents you dont.
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                Same with Unix virtualisation, ie POWER and SPARC, fine to know how to Jumpstart or AI a Solaris 11 LDOM or NIM-build an AIX LPAR, you also need to know your way around control/IO domains, VIO and HMC....

Oh, what a lot of acronyms I know......

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                  Get yourself a Visual Studio Dev Essentials account, you get a $25 pm Azure Subscription so you can play with it to your hearts content.

And also SQL 2016 Developer Edn for free.
                  Better yet, if you are working with MS tech get an Action pack for £165/year (with 50% off code:ACTIONPACK2017) which gives you a plethora of benefits one of which is £65/month Azure credit. Unlike the MSDN this and the other benefits can be legally used for actual "production" stuff for YourCo

If you are using Office365 you should also consider the Action pack as it comes with 5 Office365 E3 licenses (the price of the sub is about that of a single E3 license)

Comment

Guys, thank you all for good advice.

Looking back at my posts, I know I look like a W*nker. I'd like to explain that I've worked with Sql Server since the nineties and been through many upgrades, some of which were substantial, and some of which have differences that are hardly visible. All of the clients/agencies want experience of the latest version except when you're at a client, when they want someone else to try it first and work out the wrinkles.

So, I turn my back for a year, and find yet another new version. This time it comes with a ton of new terminology, acronyms and UI's. (where did "blade" come from?). So, in my mind, I'm scrambling around trying to work out what's significant and, deep down, what's different. AND, as you will have realised if you're paying attention I'm an OLD FART, and do I care?. Well, no I don't, but I'd like one last contract, to pay some bills, and I am getting there but slowly, painfully.

Cheers

Comment

So, I turn my back for a year, and find yet another new version. This time it comes with a ton of new terminology, acronyms and UI's. (where did "blade" come from?). So, in my mind, I'm scrambling around trying to work out what's significant and, deep down, what's different. AND, as you will have realised if you're paying attention I'm an OLD FART, and do I care?. Well, no I don't, but I'd like one last contract, to pay some bills, and I am getting there but slowly, painfully.

Cheers
                      Not to bicker, but Azure SQL has been around for more than 5 years. And if by "blade" you mean a type of server, they have been around for more than a decade, with any sensible organization using more than 2 racks worth of servers switching to blades in the last 5 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X