• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A silly thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been doing my usual volunteering at a local windmill again today. There's quite a few historic windmills and watermills round here.

Wind, water, why tap natural energy from just two of the four elements, where are the fire mills and earth mills? Surely they could install some sort of generators on active volcanoes, the output would be enormous. Maybe in areas subject to earthquakes too. Admittedly, you would not get power from them very often but when you did it would be enormous. You could store it in a gigantic battery and keep a big city going for months.

Japan is one of the countries most prone to earthquakes and we all know what happened 5 years ago at Fukushima. They could have had huge buoys floating in the water attached by wires to generators. When the Tsunami struck they would have generated lots of power and also mitigated the effects. Lots of relatively poor countries like Nepal and India suffer major earthquakes. If they covered the land with large versions of this shake generator the resulting power would compensate to some degree for the devastation.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

And while on power generation, why do we waste the power of waste water? Small turbines on every sink, bath and shower outlet would probably run your lights and TV for you. Toilets too, although turbines coated in PFE or other non-stick coating would be a good idea.

You could even be paid a tariff for your bog power.
      bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

PFE? I meant Teflon. That's it! I am going to snuff myself, I can't live with the shame of making yet another stupid mistake on CUK.

Apparently a common painless method these days is by lighting a barbecue in a small tent. Not half as much fun as my preferred method, paying a huge fat lady to suffocate me with her bum. I would also pay her several days beforehand to eat lots of Brussel sprouts. What a way to go!
        bloggoth

Comment

Was reading SueEllen's comment on the main forum:

Lots of the health stuff published by the main stream media is wrong
          Quite true, you can't trust mankind to get anything right. We should go back to the good old days. Why bother to carry out all this "research" when it would be much easier to send beardy blokes in white robes up rumbling mountains to ask god about everything?

He could have told us how we should have voted in the referendum. If he had said Brexit (which of course he would have, being of infinite wisdom) anyone calling him a cretin would be struck down by a lighting bolt.
          bloggoth

Comment

The bible story does make you wonder about the ten commandments. Moses was so annoyed at seeing his followers having an orgy with a calf that he flung the sacred tablets to the ground, breaking them into pieces.

So how can we be sure that he put them back together properly? If he didn't, the ten commandments we know could be a muddled mix up that say something completely different to what god said. Perhaps some bits were splintered beyond repair and he just assumed some words and letters.

Maybe god actually told us we should kill and commit adultery. Sounds a lot more fun anyway.
            Last edited by xoggoth; 4 May 2017, 10:45.
            bloggoth

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              The bible story does make you wonder about the ten commandments. Moses was so annoyed at seeing his followers having an orgy with a calf that he flung the sacred tablets to the ground, breaking them into pieces.

So how can we be sure that he put them back together properly? If he didn't, the ten commandments we know could be a muddled mix up that say something completely different to what god said. Perhaps some bits were splintered beyond repair and he just assumed some words and letters.

Maybe god actually told us we should kill and commit adultery. Sounds a lot more fun anyway.
              Or kill while committing adultery? Or is that just for black widows?

Comment

Those spiders have all the fun.
                bloggoth

Comment

In the garden this afternoon trying to make a large flat area out of lots of broken concrete slabs. It was like trying to do a jigsaw with umpteen pieces weighing 3+ kg when the board was umpteen yards from the box. Knackering. Surely it would be much healthier if real games were like that. How about chess where the pieces weigh 10st each? Stimulate the body as well as the mind.

We always hear of the adverse health effects of people sitting around playing games on their computers and smart phones instead of exercising. The Wii was a good idea, combined both but what happened to Wii? Don't hear much about it these days. Maybe laws should be passed requiring all computers, tablets and smart phones etc. to require a minimum energy input to operate. Given current technology I doubt a counting accelerometer would be a problem. If, instead of just typing "B" on your phone with your thumb, you could only input "B" when you had completed 50 jumps, it would be so much healthier.
                  Last edited by xoggoth; 5 May 2017, 19:41.
                  bloggoth

Comment

All this laziness due to tech is more a young person's thing but us oldies need to stimulate mind and body. Doing crosswords puzzles etc. is supposed to keep the mind active and stave off alzheimer's but is it enough?

We all need to exercise our brains a lot more. They should hire Hire Stephen Hawkin to improve those captcha things when you log in to something or make a payment, completing a simple sum or identifying street signs is much too easy. Anyone wanting to log in or pay should have to perform a much more complex task, perhaps examine evidence from CERN and provide rational argument for the existence of an, as yet, undiscovered subatomic particle or solve The Goldbach Conjecture or another unsolved mathematical problem as listed here.
                    bloggoth

Comment

Those spiders have all the fun
                      Oh no, hang on! It's the female spiders that eat their mates during mating. Being sucked off is ok but being chewed off is less desirable.
                      Last edited by xoggoth; 5 May 2017, 20:04.
                      bloggoth

Comment

Working...
                      X