• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

De Graaf/TwentyPlus/IOM DTA (Double Tax)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TakenForARide View Post
    Do we have a class action where someone is held accountable?
    Class actions are now in UK law (since 2015) but are part of Consumer Rights. You are not a consumer.

IANAL
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      Class actions are now in UK law (since 2015) but are part of Consumer Rights. You are not a consumer.

IANAL
      Even if a class action were possible, almost no-one else will join. And there is no-one to sue.

Comment

...leaving me to pay £4800 income tax plus £1500 penalty. ?
        I think you've got off lightly compared to some.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          Can I ask when you received your bill?

De Graaf has gone. There is no class action. You could hire an accountant to challenge the amount. However you are unlikely to get anywhere.

Sadly the best course of action (in fact the only course of action) is to pay up.

Last week.

Comment

My story

My story is very similar to FloggingDolphin’s, posted earlier in the thread, involving Reed Accountancy, TwentyPlus, Focused Consulting … (how many more parties?)

I was placed by Reed Accountancy in a role, who told me they preferred to pay me through this IoM Trust arrangement, telling me this was tax advantageous. I didn’t really have the chance to decline and say I wanted it as PAYE or ltd co. The decision was taken for me, although if I knew then what I know now, I would sooner have left the assignment immediately!

I have a letter on file from deGraaf instructing me how to complete my tax return, with explanatory notes in boxes (no income was hidden. Indeed it was assessed by HMRC as not liable for income tax. It was only years later, when the DTA arrangement was stopped by HMRC and they claimed it had been illegal all along, that they went back in time and sent revised tax assessments for prior years to contractors. At this point, Customer Services at deGraaf were around, and I still have numerous emails from them instructing me/us not to settle tax accounts as they were taking it to court as a class action. So, I haven’t settled as deGraaf instructed me not to do so, as it weakened their case if contractors were seen to be settling.

Even if deGraaf are no more, their directors must still be out there, and are liable, surely? If I gave false information, I can be sued, which I why I have professional indemnity insurance. They gave information and advice that has proven to be bad advice, costing me/us thousands of pounds in income tax and onerous interest payments from 10 years ago.

There are clearly many of us affected and we should be getting together to seek compensation, not mocking each other.

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
              I think you've got off lightly compared to some.
              And its worth settling quickly. I heard today of someone who asked HMRC for a settlement amount. They were sent a quote. Before paying HMRC said they could not give a final settlement figure!

HMRC = Happy Morons Ripping Clients

Comment

There are clearly many of us affected and we should be getting together to seek compensation, not mocking each other.
                I see no-one mocking others on this thread. I do see a thread that is nine years old however - it slipped by my radar in 2013 so I'll put it in the correct forum now, HMRC Scheme Enquiries.

You are late to the party I'm afraid. Compensation has been demanded, considered by those who demanded and accepted that there is no-one around from whom to demand compensation.

What's why all these companies have shut down and their promotors are now touting dodgy umbrella companies to take money from more unsuspecting contractors.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Sorry you feel some are mocking you. Cojak is(as ever) right - people are trying to help you.

I was not in De Graaf - I was in a similar scheme(MP) - though I know a few in De Graaf. Some have suffered psychological issues due to HMRC actions.

There were not that many in De Graaf. A handfull joined NTRT in 2011. That is now closed. The majority of those in NTRT were from MP. MP were the only promoter who stayed around. And their case is lost now.

Any attempt to seem compensation would be almost impossible to achieve. And any payout almost impossible to collect. You would need a legal fund of millions.

Effectively you would just be burning more money.

Sometimes you have to admit you made a mistake, put it behind you, and move on. I was one of those in Equitable life. Suddenly it was 12.5% loss to get your money out. Then 20%. I realized that it would only get worse. I took the 20% hit. I am so pleased I did.

Please pay up and move on. Anything else will just make it worse.

Feel free to PM me if you want to chat further. I have alot of experience of this sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    What's why all these companies have shut down and their promotors are now touting dodgy umbrella companies to take money from more unsuspecting contractors.
                    Very true. And unbelievable HMRC do little to close the new schemes down. I have reported one such scheme. I never heard back.

Sadly there is no way of fighting HMRC.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      Very true. And unbelievable HMRC do little to close the new schemes down. I have reported one such scheme. I never heard back.
                      https://www.dotas-scandal.org/top-10...dance-schemes/
                      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Working...
                      X