• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Murray deserves knighthood

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    WTF?
    Ainslie's achievements, whilst impressive in terms of consistency and longevity, were achieved in a rather obscure field of endeavour. I suspect the number of people globally that have even tried Ainslie's preferred Class of Sailing could all be accommodated, with wives and families, into the Centre Court.
    If he is in a different league then it is surely quite a few leagues beneath that in which Murray plies his trade.

This is dogghie we're talking about, he's not exactly renowned for the quality of his judgement, is he?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
      This is dogghie we're talking about, he's not exactly renowned for the quality of his judgement, is he?
      Harsh..............but fair!!

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Gotta say as fantastic as his achievement is I don't think it is worth a knighthood. Winning something he entered to win anyway isn't over and above, it's what he was in the competition to try and do. He should be celebrated I do agree. I just think a knighthood is a bit too much too soon and a knee jerk reaction to a great win. Just doesn't sit right with me but as already been said, a lot more have been given out for a hell of a lot less.
        +1
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

What does a knighthood actually mean these days?
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Gotta say as fantastic as his achievement is I don't think it is worth a knighthood. Winning something he entered to win anyway isn't over and above, it's what he was in the competition to try and do. He should be celebrated I do agree. I just think a knighthood is a bit too much too soon and a knee jerk reaction to a great win. Just doesn't sit right with me but as already been said, a lot more have been given out for a hell of a lot less.
            Quite right. And he got paid a chunk of money to do it anyway. No one knights me for just doing my job.

Comment

WTF?
              Ainslie's achievements, whilst impressive in terms of consistency and longevity, were achieved in a rather obscure field of endeavour. I suspect the number of people globally that have even tried Ainslie's preferred Class of Sailing could all be accommodated, with wives and families, into the Centre Court.
              If he is in a different league then it is surely quite a few leagues beneath that in which Murray plies his trade.

When you can fit a million plus people in centre court, please let us all know how. There are hundreds of sailing clubs and thousands and thousands of active sailors in the UK alone, where it is a minor sport - in other nations it is a far more popular sport.

Sailing is a very hotly contested sport, as evidenced by the number of nations who competed in it at the Olympics.... and that covers only a handful of types of boat out of dozens which are widely raced.

Suggesting that winning gold in 4 Olympics in a row is a lesser achievement than winning one major event once just shows your ignorance.

I guess rowing's a pretty minor league sport too, so Sir Steve is a nobody too? But clearly cycling is worth considering since you had someone good at that...
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Harsh..............but equally ignorant!!

FTFY
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  IIRC foreigners aren't allowed to use the "sir" but are KBEs. Like Sir Bob Geldof (who shouldn't be called sir).

But if Scotland does become independent, does that mean we'll have to go back to saying there hasn't been a British winner of Wimbledon for 78 years (or whatever it is)?

I bet Murray gets an OBE. If he wins it 8 times, and then retires then yes fine, Sir Andy, but at this stage it seems ludicrous.
                  He already has one.

Andy Murray receives OBE in New Year's Honour List
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

He's going to get one whether you like it or not, however he may have won the US and Aussie Opens by that time as well.

Maybe its because he achieved a feat after a considerable length of time, ie 77 years since last male wimbledon winner. Wiggins first English winner of Le Tour. Ashes cricket team in 2005, England RFU in 2003.

Fergie got his as he was/is a major donator to the Labour Party.

qh
                    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                      He's going to get one whether you like it or not, however he may have won the US and Aussie Opens by that time as well.

qh
                      He may have won the US open again but he won't have won the aussie open because that occurs in January after the New Year Honours are announced.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X