• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hipster causes murder on a bike

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

Sadly you will sit there in your car, turning green as my £200 bike goes ten times as fast as your £20k car.
    Assumptions.... Always a good place to start for a generalisation
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
      To generalize means 1.) to form a broad conclusion based on inferences drawn from specific cases 2.) to make something more widely available or applicable 3.) to speak in generalities, often in a prejudiced manner. Generalize is the North American spelling, related words are generalizes, generalized, generalizing, generalization.

Generalise is the preferred British spelling, related words are generalises, generalised, generalising, generalisation. The American spelling of generalize is also considered correct and is gaining acceptance around the world

Generalize vs generalise - Grammarist
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        To generalize means 1.) to form a broad conclusion based on inferences drawn from specific cases 2.) to make something more widely available or applicable 3.) to speak in generalities, often in a prejudiced manner. Generalize is the North American spelling, related words are generalizes, generalized, generalizing, generalization.

Generalise is the preferred British spelling, related words are generalises, generalised, generalising, generalisation. The American spelling of generalize is also considered correct and is gaining acceptance around the world

Who gives a feck?

The English language is a living language which evolves.

If it didn't evolve we would still be writing and speaking like Shakespeare.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Your link has no authority or standing. If you must find an authoritative source (and it is dubious whether such a thing really exists in English), then the OED lists 'genrealization' first. See:

http://en.oxforddictionaries.com/spe...ize-ise-or-yse

Many verbs that end in -ize can also end in -ise in British English. For example, in British English, all of the following spellings are acceptable: finalize/finalise; organize/organise; realize/realise. In American English, the only correct spellings are finalize, organize, and realize.
          Your (common) misunderstanding arises from the fact that only '-ize' is correct in American English. Some people have erroneously come to the conclusion that therefore '-ize' is not correct in British English.

Comment

Generalize is as valid in a UK publication as color or thru
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
              Generalize is as valid in a UK publication as color or thru
              You are simply incorrect. See above.

Comment

You are simply incorrect. See above.
                Grammar :nazi:
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Grammar :nazi:
                  Firstly, this is spelling and not grammar.

Secondly, the OP incorrectly tried to correct Brillo. I am merely educating.

Comment

Secondly, the OP incorrectly tried to correct Brillo. I am merely educating.
                    I'm definitely not the OP. Although I did start a spelling spat (sorry).
                    I've learnt something today though.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I'm definitely not the OP. Although I did start a spelling spat (sorry).
                      I've learnt something today though.
                      Glad you've learned something.

Comment

Working...
                      X