• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Opening business bank account with HSBC - final stage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
    So I have applied online to open a business bank account with HSBC (for my newly incorporated ltd). I went through the online process and now in the final stage I have telephone appointment for them to ask some more questions and inform me of their decision.

What should I expect? I don't want to be rejected for the wrong answer to a silly question, and go through all of it again with another bank. Any advice appreciated.

I did it last week with HSBC. Meeting lasted about 4-5 minutes. They're basically asking you what type of business you are (ie. SIC code), turnover, do you do cash, cheque online etc and make sure you are a real person, do you need merchant services blah blah.

Nothing to worry about. A very dull call.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      I did it last week with HSBC. Meeting lasted about 4-5 minutes. They're basically asking you what type of business you are (ie. SIC code), turnover, do you do cash, cheque online etc and make sure you are a real person, do you need merchant services blah blah.

Awesome. Thanks.

Comment

Yep - as above. No hassle when I started with them.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
          That's not true.

What they want to do is establish your identity, whether you are legally allowed to have a UK bank account and to ensure you won't get them hauled up before the authorities for turning out to be an international money-launderer or terrorist.

HSBC went through a phase of closing accounts of people it deemed "risky" a couple of years ago.

You need to take valid identification ( aka passport ) and several items with your home address on it. Driving license, bills, whatever.
          What's not true?

What they want to do is establish your identity, whether you are legally allowed to have a UK bank account and to ensure you won't get them hauled up before the authorities for turning out to be an international money-launderer or terrorist.

I believe I said the remainder is covering their backs

You need to take valid identification ( aka passport ) and several items with your home address on it. Driving license, bills, whatever.

To a telephone interview

Comment

Don't lie. It was the longest and most intimate conversation you had all week.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              It was the longest and most intimate conversation you had all week.
              that's not what Mrs d000hg said when MF & I popped over.

Oh that's it she didn't use the word conversation or week.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Weird. No phone call. But an email saying they couldn't reach me, although mobile on the desk in front of me with full signal.

However they have opened my account...

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
                  Weird. No phone call. But an email saying they couldn't reach me, although mobile on the desk in front of me with full signal.

However they have opened my account...
                  Wonder if I can get a job from a missed telephone interview, much less stressful.

Comment

Whatever you do though, don't tell HSBC you need card payments.

As a new business account, it quite clearly shows that I'm opening a retail shop and will need merchant services.

They push that to Global Payments, who must have rung me about 20 times on my mobile and house phone in the last two weeks, but didn't make an actual appointment. So today I asked them to make an appointment to speak to me.

About ten minutes in from reading from a script, diptulip agent goes, let me just check (pause) and then comes back and says 'Sorry we need two years accounts for a merchant account. We dont do new businesses'. FFS. It's a new business. DONT WASTE MY ******* TIME!!!

Clueless.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Make sure if they ask you "Are you involved in opium/cocaine trade?" to answer Yes. This will guarantee you an account with them

Comment

Working...
                      X