Public sector direct contracting.. best method?
+ Reply to Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    26
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default Public sector direct contracting.. best method?

    Hi,

    I have been a Ltd and Umbrella contractor via an agency, now I find myself at a university within IR35 without agency involvement... is it best for me to invoice the uni and be paid net to my personal bank account as an individual with the required insurances personally or get an umbrella company involved again?

  2. #2

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,825
    Thanks (Given)
    141
    Thanks (Received)
    1472
    Likes (Given)
    1783
    Likes (Received)
    6045

    Default

    What are they willing to do? Will they really go for a payment to a personal account? Ask them what they are willing to accommodate?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #3

    Godlike

    jamesbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,302
    Thanks (Given)
    69
    Thanks (Received)
    384
    Likes (Given)
    570
    Likes (Received)
    1674

    Default

    I doubt they'd be willing to do this because, if the relationship is factually akin to employment (as might be argued if they were to otherwise classify the contract as inside IR35), it exposes them to the consequences of not applying PAYE/NI correctly. However, to answer your question directly, yes, you'd be better off as a sole trader, providing that you're willing to expose your personal assets.

    More than likely, it isn't an option.

  4. #4

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    17,957
    Thanks (Given)
    477
    Thanks (Received)
    1032
    Likes (Given)
    4168
    Likes (Received)
    2764

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    I doubt they'd be willing to do this because, if the relationship is factually akin to employment (as might be argued if they were to otherwise classify the contract as inside IR35), it exposes them to the consequences of not applying PAYE/NI correctly. However, to answer your question directly, yes, you'd be better off as a sole trader, providing that you're willing to expose your personal assets.

    More than likely, it isn't an option.
    That means your house, car and any savings you might have if HMRC come knocking.

    Just to make it clear.

  5. #5

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    26
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    5
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Thanks for the chilling response , is this not what professional indemnity insurance is for to safeguard against though?


    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    That means your house, car and any savings you might have if HMRC come knocking.

    Just to make it clear.

  6. #6

    Godlike

    jamesbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,302
    Thanks (Given)
    69
    Thanks (Received)
    384
    Likes (Given)
    570
    Likes (Received)
    1674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    That means your house, car and any savings you might have if HMRC come knocking.

    Just to make it clear.
    Sure, but why HMRC? I'm talking about business risk. Notwithstanding contractual clauses, it would be the responsibility of the university to deal with HMRC if they were accused of false self-employment. That's the point. That's why they're unlikely to do this.

  7. #7

    Godlike

    jamesbrown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    5,302
    Thanks (Given)
    69
    Thanks (Received)
    384
    Likes (Given)
    570
    Likes (Received)
    1674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BradMcA View Post
    Thanks for the chilling response , is this not what professional indemnity insurance is for to safeguard against though?
    A particular type of business risk, yes (i.e. when you do something, professionally, that causes harm). Even then, there are policy limits etc. Remember, you have unlimited liability, in principle, as a sole trader.

  8. #8

    Double Godlike!

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Trump University
    Posts
    11,348
    Thanks (Given)
    87
    Thanks (Received)
    251
    Likes (Given)
    469
    Likes (Received)
    846

    Default

    Operating as a sole trader is easier admin wise, I would ignore the more doom laden advice, as there are several million sole traders in the UK not facing personal financial ruin.

    An introduction:

    https://www.theguardian.com/small-bu...any-freelances
    Author of the best seller "How to get Poor quickly"

  9. #9

    More time posting than coding

    Whorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South West
    Posts
    430
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    50
    Likes (Given)
    609
    Likes (Received)
    139

    Default

    Wouldn't brollie be better as the OP could put money straight into a pension thus saving tax at source? Easier admin too?
    I may not know Karate, but I know crazy and I'm not afraid to use it

  10. #10

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,825
    Thanks (Given)
    141
    Thanks (Received)
    1472
    Likes (Given)
    1783
    Likes (Received)
    6045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whorty View Post
    Wouldn't brollie be better as the OP could put money straight into a pension thus saving tax at source? Easier admin too?
    Yep but very few allow more than the minimum. Contractor Umbrella have a good setup.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.