• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is Manchester's contract market like?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Most contractors I know are quite happy about staying in Manchester and I know a couple who have moved from down south finding work without a problem. What's your skillset/experience?
    I'm an iOS dev with 4 years total experience doing iOS, which includes 1 year contracting so far.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Plenty of work in the Black Pudding mines...
      And the pea wet lakes.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        First gig is always the easiest.
        Actually I found it the hardest. 2nd one was tough as was 3rd one. 4th one onwards got much easier. Now on number 10! I'm hoping this is the last one before plan B.... If not I'm going to have to take a fair amount of time off to work up the courage to go back into it.
        Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 18 May 2017, 16:24.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNewGuy View Post
          I'm an iOS dev with 4 years total experience doing iOS, which includes 1 year contracting so far.
          There is a decent amount of iOS work around but being an app only developer does restrict you somewhat. If you can do that combined with some Android, ASP.NET web apis and maybe some Azure then you should be ok?

Also 4 years is not a huge amount. The more experience you have the easier it should get, unless you have lots of bench time.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
            Actually I found it the hardest. 2nd one was tough as was 3rd one. 4th one onwards got much easier. Now on number 10!
            I mean from the fact you can sit cosy waiting for for the first gig in your employment. 2nd gig is on the clock as you'll be on the bench... So it wouldn't have been a problem in that respect for you
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Manchester is a bit hit and miss, once you relocate there, expect to contract in London.

Good Luck.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                And the pea wet lakes.
                I miss pea wet, proper gravy and Warbies crumpets.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  I miss pea wet, proper gravy and Warbies crumpets.
                  I miss rain...
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by TheNewGuy View Post
                    Some mixed opinions here, but mostly stating it's not that great/very competitive.

I'm leaning towards ruling it out now to be honest, it's hard to resist the land of plenty down here in London.
                    Its pretty awesome to live and work in. Can be a bit patchy for work but Birmingham, Leeds, Liverpool also options with Manc. as a base.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      I mean from the fact you can sit cosy waiting for for the first gig in your employment. 2nd gig is on the clock as you'll be on the bench... So it wouldn't have been a problem in that respect for you
                      I quit then started to look!

Comment

Working...
                      X