• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is Manchester's contract market like?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheNewGuy View Post
    Currently living in London, but considering moving to Manchester.

The biggest concern I have is what the contractor market is like in Manchester?

As an iOS Developer in London there are always plenty of contracts available (barring the occasional lull in the market).

From quick search it seems Manchester has about 100 to London's 600 iOS Developer jobs on one job site - which I'm using to make a rough comparison... BUT nearly 100% permanent. Are there contractor jobs in the mobile sector in Manchester?
    Personally i wouldn't relocate from London to Manchester. The majority of my contracting friends look for work in London as there isnt much available in the Mancheser area. Shame really as Manchester has alot to offer but not much with regards to contactor roles, especially IT contractor roles.

Comment

The contracting market in the North is still in the dark ages. I've been contracting 13 years now and had about 4 years in the North. I actually live between Bradford and Halifax about 10 mins from the M62 so I have Manchester and Leeds within driving range but I have to tell you the market truly sucks and I blame the agents mostly. I was on £ 450 back in 2004 in Pudsey, nr Leeds. Decent rate at the time but even now you'd be lucky to get £ 400, speaking as a developer that is. Nothing has moved on. You might get the odd decent rate at the likes of SKY in Leeds or a couple of niche places but ultimately the opportunities of quality work are minimal to non-existent. Manchester has in my view been terrible, far worse than Leeds, hence the reason I contract predominantly in London. It's not just the opportunities though. Should you be lucky enough to find a half-decent gig, prepare to work with total idiots. Wish it wasn't so because I love my county but that's the reality. So, instead of spending 3-4 hours a day sat in my car with the roundtrip commute to Manchester, or 2-3 hours a day for Leeds and rates of £ 350, I get p155ed up on the train down to London (3 hours) and the same back for rates of £ 650 and when I'm there, my digs are 10 mins each way to the office. 3 days WFH as well and life's good. Another issue with contracting up here is the longevity - the money just isn't there and they want you out of the door yesterday.

Comment

Stay in London. Contract market in the North is rubbish and far too many people going from Perm => Contract and on £200-250 a day when it's a average £350 pd role.

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
          The contracting market in the North is still in the dark ages. I've been contracting 13 years now and had about 4 years in the North. I actually live between Bradford and Halifax about 10 mins from the M62 so I have Manchester and Leeds within driving range but I have to tell you the market truly sucks and I blame the agents mostly. I was on £ 450 back in 2004 in Pudsey, nr Leeds. Decent rate at the time but even now you'd be lucky to get £ 400, speaking as a developer that is. Nothing has moved on. You might get the odd decent rate at the likes of SKY in Leeds or a couple of niche places but ultimately the opportunities of quality work are minimal to non-existent. Manchester has in my view been terrible, far worse than Leeds, hence the reason I contract predominantly in London. It's not just the opportunities though. Should you be lucky enough to find a half-decent gig, prepare to work with total idiots. Wish it wasn't so because I love my county but that's the reality. So, instead of spending 3-4 hours a day sat in my car with the roundtrip commute to Manchester, or 2-3 hours a day for Leeds and rates of £ 350, I get p155ed up on the train down to London (3 hours) and the same back for rates of £ 650 and when I'm there, my digs are 10 mins each way to the office. 3 days WFH as well and life's good. Another issue with contracting up here is the longevity - the money just isn't there and they want you out of the door yesterday.
          It's true!

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
            I don't know which Manchester it is you are talking about.....

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co....ice=responsive

Comment

I live near Manchester but tend to work away. However when looking for this role I had an offer from RBS on the W&G project and was a dead cert for a role at the co-op.....and I picked one in Edinburgh. Both Manchester roles were shortish in length and the rates were pretty poor. This role has lots of flexibility - I can work from home whenever I like.
              Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

It's the same in Brum, loads of permie roles but very few contracts, hence why I spend most of my time in London with some remote working when I can wangle it.

Comment

Working...
                X