• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

invoicing client direct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more thought, why don't agencies/clients insist on paying all their contractors via umbrellas rather than ltd co's if it saves them employers ni?

Comment

Originally posted by bikeman View Post
      One more thought, why don't agencies/clients insist on paying all their contractors via umbrellas rather than ltd co's if it saves them employers ni?
      From a client/agent POV it makes no difference if you use your own Ltd or an umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        From a client/agent POV it makes no difference if you use your own Ltd or an umbrella.
        So you also get tapped for the employer ni even if you work through a ltd co as a sole trader? I thought not having to pay employer ni was one of the advantages of going ltd co.

Comment

So you also get tapped for the employer ni even if you work through a ltd co as a sole trader? I thought not having to pay employer ni was one of the advantages of going ltd co.
          You've lost me. "Through a Ltd co as a sole trader" - this makes no sense.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            You've lost me. "Through a Ltd co as a sole trader" - this makes no sense.
            Sorry what I meant was as a single employee ltd company, though I guess on reflection it doesn't matter if it is one employee or hundreds, the ltd co still has to pay employers ni - I think I've got it
            Last edited by bikeman; 12 April 2017, 20:44.

Comment

Sorry what I meant was as a single employee ltd company, though I guess on reflection it doesn't matter if it is one employee or hundreds, the ltd co still has to pay employers ni - I think I've got it
              With a ltd co, you can take money out via wages - PAYE, ERNIC, EENIC. Or by dividends - still taxed, but no NI deductions. Furthermore, with a ltd. co, you can not pay it all out, but hold over to subsequent years, allowing you to cover lean periods. Kind of contracting 101.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I decided to take the work via an umbrella company. I don't think the client has much experience of using contractors because they haven't supplied a contract, just a note re working place, hours and payment terms. They also don't have a timesheet system. I've yet to speak to the umbrella co about this but wonder how they will proceed.

Comment

I've worked direct for a number of clients where there was no contract, no purchase order and no timesheets to fill in. I just invoiced and got paid 30 days later, as per my standard terms and conditions. I prefer to have at least a purchase order though.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Invoicing directing will be a total ball ache, unless you are happy to chase payments when the clientco is deliberately hold back from paying.
                    Don't do it.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                      Invoicing directing will be a total ball ache, unless you are happy to chase payments when the clientco is deliberately hold back from paying.
                      Don't do it.
                      I've invoiced direct before, never had a problem. Once the IT manager had forgotten to approve my invoice in time, so when I didn't get it paid on time I asked him, he apologised and the AP department put the payment through on an emergency run.
                      One other time I had calculated the VAT incorrectly on an invoice, so they rejected it and emailed me to my personal email address. I replied from my ClientCo email with a corrected invoice, payment made immediately.

It helps if you get on well with the company, in particular the person who approves your invoices and the AP team.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X